Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Captions won't go away when streaming!

Why are the (very large) captioning streams unable to be stopped? This occurs primarily when watching any news channel, and is VERY distracting and annoying, as the captioning is way behind the live dialogue!

When I open the control on the bottom right, it shows captions as being OFF!  To shut it down, I first have to select it ON, wait a minute, then turn it off, and it will finally stop. But only for a couple minutes, as the captioning starts right up again!  What kind of insanity is this? How can I actually get this mess to stop???

This only happens when streaming from the website on my computer, not on my Roku TV.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Captions won't go away when streaming!

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @StevenCee.

Firstly, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused your streaming through The Roku Channel via website and we'd be happy to find you the best resolution for this.

We'd like to gather further information about this so we can provide you with an accurate resolution. With this being said, kindly let us know the following:

• What specific channel you are having this issue with? Are on-demand shows affected?
  • Have you tried using a different browser or a different PC?
  • Is this also happening when you streamed on your mobile phone's browser?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further. We'll be anticipating your response!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

@RokuCarly   Hi,  Well this definitely happens when I watch news broadcasts, on whatever channels. And sometimes on some streamed entertainment shows. It happens with different browsers, on my computer, and I recently upgraded the OS, and that didn't make it any better. It's really odd that it will stop, then start up again, etc, etc.  And that it first starts showing the captions, even with the setting set to OFF. So I have to first turn it to On, then when I turn it to OFF,  it will stop, but just for a few minutes, then the captions come back!

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the added, information, @StevenCee.

In this case, could you please provide us with a photo of it for reference? We'd like to look closely into your closed captioning concern and provide you with an accurate resolution possible. 

In addition, you mentioned that you recently upgraded the OS, could you please clarify if it is the OS version of your computer or your Roku player? Also, please let us know your computer's model and current OS version.

Once again, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused your streaming. We'll be looking forward to your response.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

@RokuCarly 

OK, the pic shows the large captioning, while the setting is supposed to be Off. Plus, as you can see the screen is darker than it should be, another issue I've been having with both my older OS, and my current one, which OS Ventura 13.6.6 on an iMac 27" desktop. 

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 7.36.13 PM.jpeg

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

@RokuCarly  OK, I uploaded a pic as requested, which shows both the captions, despite being marked "OFF", as well as the darkened screen, which is often how it is seen, when streaming on my computer. So has anyone now figured out why this is happening?

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thank you for keeping us posted, @StevenCee.

Regarding the closed captioning issues you've currently been experiencing through The Roku Channel website, we will coordinate this with the appropriate Roku team to further investigation and determine the cause. 

Once we've been notified of any updates regarding this matter, we will let you know. 

Your continuous patience and understanding as we work on this are highly appreciated. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos