Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nick02
Reel Rookie

Captions Not Working on HGTV Go, Food Network Go, Etc

As of today captions are not showing up on any of the Discovery Go apps (HGTV, Food, etc).  Captions are working fine for those apps on Samsung Smart TV but not Roku. Captions are working on all other apps except the Discovery ones.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: Captions Not Working on HGTV Go, Food Network Go, Etc

Hello @nick02,

Thanks for posting here in the Community.

Please check if Captioning is set to “On always” on the Roku main page under Settings > Accessibility > Captions Mode > On always.

Please note that most channels and apps contain their own settings and will override the settings in Roku menus. Some channels have their own captions settings that are separate from the system settings. Most channel manages their own content programming, including closed captions and subtitles on content. Reach out to the channel If changing the captions on the Roku settings does not resolve the issue.

You can reach Discovery Go support here 

We hope it helps!

Regards, 
Karla

0 Kudos
nick02
Reel Rookie

Captions are on, both on the app and the Roku itself. Other apps are fine. Still not working for the Discovery apps.

That link is for Discovery Plus support. They don't handle the cable-authenticated Go apps for HGTV, Food, etc.

0 Kudos

FWIW, I am having the same problem. I can get captions by clicking out to Home, back and forth, at least four times. After that I get captions. It's been happening for about three weeks here, too.

Has Discovery+ changed something in their coding as it manifests on Roku?

0 Kudos
nick02
Reel Rookie

Good to know I'm not the only one. I've sent multiple messages to Discovery in regards to all the Go apps, and Discovery Plus, and I'm met with the same replies that their technicians will look into it. That was weeks ago, still not fixed. I've been using the app for my Samsung Smart TV and that works fine. Looks like I'll be reporting them.

Couple years ago the captions stopped working on the ABC app for a specific show. They refused to fix it. I filed a federal Disability complaint, and suddenly they fixed it.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@dhflipizzans

Thanks for the inquiry.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos