Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
outlaw30-06
Binge Watcher

Can’t watch ANYTHING on (HBO)MAX channel/can’t delete channel

I can’t watch any of the shows on the new Max channel. I can watch trailers on it all day long just fine. I’m really getting irritated. This has been going on for well over a week. When I try to play a movie or an episode of a show I initially got an error message that said there was a problem with my device set up. Now it just says try again later or contact us and gives me an error code. This is insane. In addition, I have attempted to delete the channel so that I could re-download it, but I am not given an option to delete this channel in the channels options menu. I can delete any other channel on my Roku device, but Max. Where it should say “Remove channel“ it now says “manage subscription“

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can’t watch ANYTHING on (HBO)MAX channel/can’t delete channel

I can't help you with the error, but you should report any error messages/codes to Max as it's their error and only they know what it means.

You can't remove a channel/app if you're subscribed through Roku.  This is for your protection.  Too many people removed a channel thinking their subscription would be canceled automatically and then were shocked when they noticed months later that they were still being charged.  If you really want to try the remove/reboot/re-add method, cancel your Roku subscription.  You will still have access until the end of its current period even if you cancel it.  If you do try that, I'd recommend subscribing directly with Max to avoid this problem in the future.

One last note:  make sure you check for updates under Settings->System->Software update and/or by highlighting the channel/app and pressing * on your remote to see if there's an option.  Updates should happen automatically, but it doesn't hurt to check manually.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
outlaw30-06
Binge Watcher

I am subscribed directly through Max. I should be able to remove/add/reboot any channel regardless. I can remove/add/reboot EVERY OTHER CHANNEL on my Roku EXCEPT Max. 

0 Kudos
outlaw30-06
Binge Watcher

Also, I’m a legacy subscriber to Max. Therefore, canceling and resubscribing would cause an increase in the price of said subscription. Additionally, I also cannot access any Max content or even just get the app to open on my Chromebook, my iPhone, any of my Roku devices or my smart tv. On my chromebook and iPhone, the app starts to open then closes itself before getting beyond the start screen. So, if the bugs aren’t fixed and quickly, I’ll just cancel all together. Obviously Max doesn’t need my money or anyone else’s for that matter since this problem has been unsolved from day one of the transition. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

When you highlight the channel on your Home Screen and press * do you get an option to "Manage subscription"?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
outlaw30-06
Binge Watcher

Yes. Manage subscription used to be removed channel and still is for every other channel on my Roku device, except Max. Max option menu says manage subscription

0 Kudos