Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
unixorn
Reel Rookie

Can't install Jellyfin on my new roku

Jump to solution

I can't find the Jellyfin channel in search on the Roku itself, or in the channel store.

I've seen youtube videos showing people testing jellyfin, so I know it at least used to exist.

Has it been removed from the Roku ecosystem?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can't install Jellyfin on my new roku

Jump to solution

https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin-roku/issues/1424

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@unixorn 

In addition to the current info/issue pointed out by @renojim in the above link, you can also just use Jellyfin as a DLNA server through Roku Media Player (RMP).  

There are two methods to use Jellyfin on Roku.  Can use the Jellyfin channel/app on Roku, or as a DLNA server available under under RMP.  (do not need to install the channel/app in order to use Jellyfin on Roku).  The different methods do have different interfaces though.  I will note that Jellyfin seems to fail to populate as an available server quite often on my Roku devices, but a simple typed command to "restart" the server fixes it immediately and refreshes the server under RMP.  (for Linux, just type sudo systemctl restart jellyfin).  For Windows, the server apparently can be stopped, then restarted under Services tab. 

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
renojim

Jump to solution

https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin-roku/issues/1424

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@unixorn 

In addition to the current info/issue pointed out by @renojim in the above link, you can also just use Jellyfin as a DLNA server through Roku Media Player (RMP).  

There are two methods to use Jellyfin on Roku.  Can use the Jellyfin channel/app on Roku, or as a DLNA server available under under RMP.  (do not need to install the channel/app in order to use Jellyfin on Roku).  The different methods do have different interfaces though.  I will note that Jellyfin seems to fail to populate as an available server quite often on my Roku devices, but a simple typed command to "restart" the server fixes it immediately and refreshes the server under RMP.  (for Linux, just type sudo systemctl restart jellyfin).  For Windows, the server apparently can be stopped, then restarted under Services tab. 

turfit

Jump to solution

thank you

unixorn
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you, that took care of it. I was putting the wrong magic words into google and didn't find that, I should have thought to check github directly.

unixorn
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I've had my old Roku running Plex app for so long that I forget that RMP even existed, thank you.

One of my busted ankle recovery time projects is to install Jellyfin and compare the servers, thanks for letting me know that Jellyfin has the same need for restarts to get it to become visible that Plex does.

If I figure out an automated way to detect Jellyfin has fallen off the network to use as a health check, I'll post it and @ you.

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@unixorn 

I don't think it is so much Jellyfin falls off the network as it remains visible to computers on the network (and some of my Roku devices), just loses communication with some Roku devices.  I more restart it to refresh its visibility to RMP.  I have the same issue when using Kodi with RMP, so assume more of a Roku issue.

Pretty easy setup for Jellyfin. (just make sure to select the option to use as DLNA in the Jellyfin Settings) in order to make discoverable by network and to use on the Roku through RMP.

Their help section/Documentation is very detailed as well in case you run into issues. https://jellyfin.org/