Channels & viewing

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aalovely638
Level 7

Can't Watch NBC Live For About 3 Weeks Now

It's been about 3 weeks and I'm not able to view NBC live. I am logged in through a cable provider and can view every channel in that family (CNBC, Bravo, USA, E) live but when I try to watch NBC live the screen is just black as if it were showing. I have tried all trouble shooting (checking for updates, removing/adding channel, logging out and logging back in, restarting the Roku, restarting my wifi) and nothing has worked. I'm not sure what could be the issue. Please help!

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can't Watch NBC Live For About 3 Weeks Now

@Aalovely638 

When you remove/reinstall an app, there's a certain way to do it:

1. Remove the app
  2. Reboot the Roku
  3. Reinstall the app

Some people skip step 2, or do the step out of order. Do it 1,2,3.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Aalovely638
Level 7

@DBDukes 

Thank you for the tip because I definitely wasn't doing it that way. Just tried it and still a black screen. Thank you again for trying to help 🙂

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Aalovely638 

There's one other thing, and it may not work, and it's a pain to do. Before we proceed, I give it a less than 50% chance of working, because of the nature of the problem you describe. You say it's a black screen. You're not getting any error message of any kind. If that's the case, I give this process as unlikely (less than 50%). But here it is anyway if you want to try it, along with an explanation of why it might work.

Some apps use Roku Single Sign On (SSO). The NBCUniversal family of apps does this. That means that once you sign in to one app, it will try to sign you in to other apps in the same family.

The other side of the coin is that you can't really sign out of the apps unless you sign out of all of them. Even then, if you have several, it may sign you back in.

So, the only real way to sign out of the apps is to sign out and then remove the app, and doing this on each Roku device on the account. Then, when that's done, and all the family of apps are signed out and removed, reboot each Roku. Then add them back, one at a time.

This is a long, tedious process, and sometimes is what has to be done to fix an app. Usually this happens when you change TV providers used to authenticate. But, you've said nothing about that. If this could enter into the mix, then yes, do this painful process. If you've been on the same provider the whole time, and all the apps worked once upon a time, then this likely won't accomplish anything. But I'm giving you the info just in case someone else reading may find it helpful, or if you get desperate enough to try.

By the way, is it only live viewing that is the issue? Some TV providers don't allow live streaming of the network app, and only grant access to the on-demand library. I've run into this a few years ago. I have no idea if it applies to your situation. If it does, then you won't be able to watch live anyway. That's because the local affiliate doesn't want it, or it least that was the situation here where we watch Savannah stations a few years back. Other content from the provider (Comcast) worked, just not the broadcast network, and it was the local (Savannah) station that wouldn't allow it.

If that is your situation, you may want to check if your cable provider has a Roku app. In my situation, Comcast has an app, and I could watch live broadcast network that way.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos