Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JDrok
Reel Rookie

Can ParamountPlus be optimized to stop overheating?

My Ultra does not normally overheat but does, consistently, when using ParamountPlus.  Other apps run longer and do not overheat the unit.  Can I adjust the stream on just that one app to a lower resolution to address this until the app is fixed?

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can ParamountPlus be optimized to stop overheating?

No, you can't reduce the video bitrate on a channel. You can set your Roku to a lower screen resolution, which in theory should reduce your bitrate somewhat. But the most important thing you can to is to complain to Paramount. They have sole responsibility and control of their app/channel. There's nothing Roku can do to resolve an issue with a 3rd party app. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Nancylala
Binge Watcher

Roku should take some responsibility.  Only happens on my ROKU TCL TV.   I bought TV because it was a Roku and have regretted it for several reasons!  Just now, Roku agent told me to call TCL company on a Sunday night. Right!  This forum made me realize, I too, am watching Paramount Plus. This sucks.  Only happens with my ROKU TV.  My other tv, using Roku appliance, handles it just fine. So I blame ROKU TV!

0 Kudos
atc98092

Your beef is not with Roku. As you've stated, it works fine on your other Roku devices, only having an issue with a non-Roku built device. And even if it was a Roku built TV, they have no control over the way Paramount has programmed their app. I can't say if there's an issue with your TCL TV, or the Paramount app, but it's one of those and Roku themselves has no control over that. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Nancylala
Binge Watcher

I talked to Paramount Plus and the techs thought I was insane.  Said it was coincidence that the TV overheated on their str service.  They blame it on the TV, even though, for me, it only happens on their "channel."

0 Kudos
Nancylala
Binge Watcher

Tcl techs did something with my TV, had me unplug and hold off button on TV for 15 secs. I'm not sure but I think they did something to it  remotely.  Something about a fan that supposed to disperse the heat... If that doesn't work, their solution is a factory reset. I'll get a different brand of tv first!

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Nancylala wrote:

Tcl techs did something with my TV, had me unplug and hold off button on TV for 15 secs. I'm not sure but I think they did something to it  remotely. 

The support techs have no such ability. Roku can download a system report file, but only once the user creates it (hit Home 5 times then Back 5 times quickly) and the user then provides the ID number. Other than that, no one can access your device outside your home network.

I'm not certain, but it's possible that creating the report file actually sends it to Roku, and they merely need the number to retrieve it from their server. It's entirely possible that Roku has no ability to connect remotely to your device. It is certainly possible, but I wouldn't think Roku would bother with doing that since it would take memory space and processing power to have that running in the background all the time. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Nancylala
Binge Watcher

Re: Can Paramount Plus be optimized to stop overheating?

You're probably right.  They did take a whole bunch of info/numbers from me.  Basically, Roku blamed it on tcl tv, tcl tv blamed it on paramount, paramount blamed it on tcl TV or roku.  I'm gonna get a Samsung. Lol

0 Kudos

Happens on my roku ultra too. Just started recently. Roku added that useless Screensaver thing around the same time. Can only pull pics from Google drive. Had to remove it because it was eating up memory and telling me to install a microsd card. There is definitely a bug somewhere in the mix.