Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Flordagirl
Channel Surfer

Can I watch shows on the Roku Mobile App or does it only function as a remote?

Jump to solution

Can we watch shows on the app or does it only function as a remote?

When I search for shows on the Roku app it only gives an option to stream them to my Roku device instead of watching them on my mobile device via the mobile app. 

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
kjlhgfyguh
Reel Rookie

Re: Can I watch shows on the Roku Mobile App or does it only function as a remote?

Jump to solution

This response isn't accurate at all. You can't watch anything on a mobile device anymore, you can only use it to "stream" to a television (i.e. Roku TV). They removed the option that allows users to watch shows directly on their mobile device. Certainly not very useful for traveling. Users should be outraged by this change but I guess we've come to the point of just accepting anything. Before you know it they'll take all the shows away and charge us just for owning a roku device. I'm moving everything over to AppleTV. This was a deal breaker for me.

View solution in original post

Flordagirl
Channel Surfer

Re: Can I watch shows on the Roku Mobile App or does it only function as a remote?

Jump to solution

No we cannot watch it via the method you described. When I press play I get a message telling me to connect to a device. 

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Flordagirl,

Congrats on your first post in the Roku Community!

We understand that you want to know if you can stream content directly through the Roku mobile app. We can definitely assist with your inquiry.

Please be advised that aside from the benefits of controlling your Roku device by using the Roku mobile app, you can definitely stream content directly from The Roku Channel tab and enjoy streaming hit movies and shows.

Please read the detailed article about How to install the Roku mobile app | Official Roku Support

We hope we have addressed your question appropriately, but please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions or additional feedback. Happy Streaming!

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
kjlhgfyguh
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This response isn't accurate at all. You can't watch anything on a mobile device anymore, you can only use it to "stream" to a television (i.e. Roku TV). They removed the option that allows users to watch shows directly on their mobile device. Certainly not very useful for traveling. Users should be outraged by this change but I guess we've come to the point of just accepting anything. Before you know it they'll take all the shows away and charge us just for owning a roku device. I'm moving everything over to AppleTV. This was a deal breaker for me.

Flordagirl
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

No we cannot watch it via the method you described. When I press play I get a message telling me to connect to a device. 

Tags (1)