Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Flordagirl
Channel Surfer

Can I watch Roku on a laptop or desktop computer?

Jump to solution

But what about all the other apps available on the Roku player, such as Comet? Is Roku Channel the only one we can watch on our computer?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can I watch Roku on a laptop or desktop computer?

Jump to solution

@ILikeToWatch, The Roku Channel is an app available on Roku devices, other streaming devices, and some Smart TVs.  Its content is also available on the https://therokuchannel.roku.com/ website, but what's available on the website may differ from what's available via an app and even the apps on different platforms may have different content.  No other app that's available on a Roku device is available on any Roku website or otherwise on a computer.  Most content that's available via a Roku device is available via the corresponding provider's website, but that has nothing to do with Roku.  In case it's not clear, there is no substitute for a Roku device/TV.  Only Roku devices run Roku apps.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RokuJessica-G
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Boltor ,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We apologize for any confusion about our Roku Channel. That's not what we aim for. We'd like to look closely into this issue. 

Please be advised that if your subscription is within the Roku Channel, you can access the content through a website. However, if you have subscribed to it as a standalone, you won't be able to access the content through the website.

If you need more information, you can check out this article: "How to stream Roku subscriptions on your computer, mobile phone, or tablet."

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Best regards,
Jess

Jessica G.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Flordagirl,

Welcome, and thank you for posting here at the Roku Community!

We appreciate you contacting us regarding your query about streaming Roku on a laptop or desktop. We'd love to assist you with this.

Please be advised that The Roku Channel is the only internet streaming option for your laptop or desktop computer. You can stream all of the other apps through your streaming device/TV.

If you need further clarification and assistance, please don't hesitate to let us know, and we'd be more than happy to continue doing so.

All the best,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
LingerOn1

Jump to solution

I had a watch online tab yesterday, but I don't have that now. What's up?

0 Kudos
ILikeToWatch
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I'm at a loss. The question was how can you stream on a computer. The answer was "The Roku Channel"- is that an app? Is that a website? was that an answer "yes you can" or "no you can't"

Pretend I don't know what "The Roku Channel" is. And you won't really have to pretend. 

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@ILikeToWatch, The Roku Channel is an app available on Roku devices, other streaming devices, and some Smart TVs.  Its content is also available on the https://therokuchannel.roku.com/ website, but what's available on the website may differ from what's available via an app and even the apps on different platforms may have different content.  No other app that's available on a Roku device is available on any Roku website or otherwise on a computer.  Most content that's available via a Roku device is available via the corresponding provider's website, but that has nothing to do with Roku.  In case it's not clear, there is no substitute for a Roku device/TV.  Only Roku devices run Roku apps.

0 Kudos
ILikeToWatch
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The simple answer is, to see the content that Roku has on their channels, that you can see when you are using a Roku device, go to:

https://therokuchannel.roku.com/

I found this on my own. That's the answer. Honestly everything else you wrote, makes sense, but totally babbles on and misses the simple answer that I had to go Google somewhere else. Sorry. I mean, really, "Only Roku devices run Roku apps."... Uh, ok...

0 Kudos
Boltor

Jump to solution

This is probably going to just confuse the issue more, and I'm sure that there are those who will tell me that I'm wrong, but...  I've been a Roku user for years now and it appears that the term "Roku Channel" has taken on 2 meanings - by Roku itself. There is A Roku Channel that you can watch on your computer at https://therokuchannel.roku.com/ apparently without even signing in to your Roku account (I literally just tried it). This channel provides all the content available from/through Roku's streaming service.

Then there is THE Roku Channel which seems to be the term that Roku uses for the Roku app on whatever other streaming device you may be using (TV, Roku player, etc). It is through this interface (app) that you can access all the other streaming services through your Roku player/TV. Their ads even say something like "watch Netflix on the Roku channel" like that isn't confusing. My best guess is their using the term Roku Channel for their app to try and direct traffic to their own streaming service offerings of original content.

0 Kudos
RokuJessica-G
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Boltor ,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We apologize for any confusion about our Roku Channel. That's not what we aim for. We'd like to look closely into this issue. 

Please be advised that if your subscription is within the Roku Channel, you can access the content through a website. However, if you have subscribed to it as a standalone, you won't be able to access the content through the website.

If you need more information, you can check out this article: "How to stream Roku subscriptions on your computer, mobile phone, or tablet."

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Best regards,
Jess

Jessica G.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I just need a simple yes or no.  If I don’t have a TV in my room and I want to stream a channel through ROKU, can I do it on my Mac AirbookPro?

if the answer is simply NO, then say NO.  

If the answer is YES, but through an app, then say YES WITH THE APP. 

That should be simple enough.  
I’m a teacher.  Your explanations would never work in a classroom.  Thank you. 

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@Victoria1701, it's not that simple.  First, what's a "channel"?  Do you mean an app as Roku has used that word to mean for years or do you mean something like a cable channel like HGTV or something like your local NBC affiliate or a "channel" within an app?  See my lengthy explanation above.  If any part of that isn't clear, ask for specific clarification, or accept the simple answer of NO you cannot use your Mac AirbookPro as a Roku device.

0 Kudos