Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
monophoto
Streaming Star

Can I add a Roku device to my LG Smart TV?

We have an LG 'smart' TV but have been very disappointed with its limitations.  I have a Roku on a different (dumb) TV and have been pleased with how it works, so am considering adding a Roku device to the LG to compensate for its many native deficiencies, but have some questions:

1.  If we add the Roku, will we be able to access streaming services that LG can't access, specifically Spectrum, and PBS Passport?

2.  I despise the LG remote - too small, too cluttered, and poorly designed.  Will the single remote that comes with a Roku Stick+ provide the ability to control not only the added Roku functions, but also native functions and services accessed through the LG tv (eg, Netflix, BritBox, etc)?

3.  Are the 'blank' buttons on the remote fully programmable, or are they limited to only specific major streaming services such as Netflix?  My concern is that my wife is a technophobe, and the ideal solution would be to have specific buttons that get her to where she wants to be without having to search menus.

8 REPLIES 8
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can I add a Roku device to my LG Smart TV?

1. Yes.  It would just connect to an HDMI input much like a Blu-ray player or cable box.
  2. No.  The Roku remote can only control the power and volume/mute of the TV.  You'll need the LG remote to switch away from the Roku's input and to control other features of the TV.
  3. No.  Any "blank" buttons shown on Roku advertising are just place holders.  Your remote will come with four buttons you may not want and may never use and you won't know what you'll get until you open the box.  The Voice Remote Pro comes with buttons labeled '1' and '2' that can be programmed to launch any channel/app.  It comes with some models or can be purchased separately.
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
VAR
Roku Guru

LG does accept roku stick but won’t allow my roku to be the default channel when I turn tv on

happy I bought this at Costco 

it’s going back. Time to bring dumb tv back 🤔

0 Kudos
monophoto
Streaming Star

LG 'smart TVs' aren't as smart as some other brands.  For example, I found that the LG OS is not compatible with either the PBS Passport or Spectrum streaming apps.

An LG Stick did initially work just fine on my LG TV - it would start up and recognize the Roku as the content source.  But last month, the TV apparently did an OS update and started defaulting to the LG menu rather than the Roku menu.  After some troubleshooting, some advice from this forum, and a conversation with someone at LG, I found the following:

1.  It's better to power the Roku Stick from a dedicated power supply rather than from the USB port on the TV.  If you use the USB port as the power source, the Roku will be powered off when the TV is off.  Then, when you turn on the TV, the TV will boot faster than the Roku and claim precedence as the programming source.  Powering the Roku from a separate, dedicated power supply means that it won't be powered off when the TV is turned off, so when you turn the TV on, the Roku will be able to claim precedence over the LG OS as a programming source.

2.  There are two settings that you can change that will make the Roku the preferred programming source.

Settings | General | System | Additional Settings | Home Settings

Home Auto Launch - OFF

Home Promotion - OFF

VAR
Roku Guru

Monostar

thanks for the reply

we had already gone through everything before packing up the new lg

since then we’ve realized that while setting up the lg it may have changed settings in another tv in close proximity and possibly with a roku ultra

my ultra can turn tv on/off but no longer handle volume control

Is this just coincident  ??

0 Kudos
monophoto
Streaming Star

I can't help you because your situation is different from mine.  You need to hear back from someone at Roku - good luck.

VAR
Roku Guru

I packed to LG up

it will be back in Costco’s hands on Monday , can’t handle another day of frustration 

0 Kudos
HughB

I had the same irritating problem - used to boot to Roku but suddenly, presumably after an LG OS update, it boots to the TV first now.

I have a Roku Sound Bar. How can I rearrange the power up of the TV?

Also, you mention the two settings that can be changed - are these on Roku or LG? I could not find exactly similar settings on either.

Thanks

monophoto
Streaming Star

The settings that I updated were in the LG WebOS.