Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SomeGuy24
Channel Surfer

CNN Stretched Screen, All Other Channels Appear “Normal”

The screen ratio on my tv screen is fine and all streaming channels appear as they should. However, the CNN app is an exception and stretches the screen so that everything has that weird, stretched out look. I did a hard reset of my Roku to no avail. I’ve played with the settings on my tv and Roku but the problem remains: every channel appears “normal”, while CNN is stretched out. I have a hard time believing the CNN channel sends out such a signal. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do? Thanks for any ideas. 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
SomeGuy24
Channel Surfer

Re: CNN Stretched Screen, All Other Channels Appear “Normal”

I forgot to mention that when I delete and reinstall the channel, it looks normal after reinstallation. Then commercials are played and the screen gets stretched out again, during the commercials and thereafter. Sometimes it will remain stretched and sometimes it will go back to normal. Seems very strange to me, especially given all other channels are fine. 

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@SomeGuy24-

What model and model number Roku do you have?  Settings > System > About will show you.

The only suggestion I can think of is to not rely on your Roku's Display type "auto detect" setting and set your Roku to the actual resolution of your TV set.

Settings > Display type

When you change the Display type to a new setting it runs you through several screens:

• A screen where you can choose from the available options on that device.
  • A screen where it analyzes your choice to be sure your tv supports it, then gives the option of trying that choice if you wish.
  • A screen with a countdown timer and two choices:
        Yes, screen looks good
        No, I will choose a different setting
    The "No" option is highlighted by default. To keep the screen resolution you're currently trying, you need to arrow up to the "Yes" option and click on it before the timer runs out.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
SomeGuy24
Channel Surfer

It’s a Roku 3, model 4230x. I already had manually set the display type, so unfortunately it didn’t do the trick. Thanks for the suggestion though!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@SomeGuy24

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried reporting the issue to the channel provider to see what insight they can provide? Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos