Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mcewena
Channel Surfer

CBC News Roku ch 105 old content

Just got my Roku and so far I’m very pleased.   One of the few channels I miss when I cut the cord years ago was CBC news world (not sure if they still call it that) so I was happy to see it on the Roku channel.

But it’s reporting mostly old news, eg the death of the Foo fighters drummer is being reported as “breaking news” a month after it happened.  The US and Reuters feeds seem current.

So my question is: is that what the CBC cable channel has become or is Roku subscribing to some sort of edited airport departure lounge feed?

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: CBC News Roku ch 105 old content

@Mcewena  I cut the cord years ago. But I still wanted live tv so I opted for YouTube TV. I take your in Canada. YouTube TV does not work in Canada but there are several services such as CBC Gem, CTV,  FuboTV , River TV and Stack TV. CBC News does indicate it offers 14 live local channels. How it works has nothing to do with Roku. 

0 Kudos
Mcewena
Channel Surfer

Thanks,  yes GEM gives me the over the air CBC feeds and they stream their nightly news show to YouTube but not their separate news channel.  I was asking about the source/content of ch105 if anybody knew.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Mcewena  No one can really know that. I gave you options to view live news in Canada. Exactly what network was channel 105? 

0 Kudos
Mcewena
Channel Surfer

Yes thanks for the other options.  105 is listed in the guide as “CBC News” and I recognize some of the presenters.

Roku and CBC staff can know it, as well any Canadians who haven’t cut their cord can compare so I think it’s knowable.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

So you want the exact same live content on your Roku as you saw when you had cable from Ch 105? Correct? You may only be able to get that by signing up for one of the services I listed. That’s what I had to do. But also in my area my local news companies such as Eyewitness News 3 offers a free Roku channel to download. You can find these things out by doing a Google search. But Roku is not responsible for the content you are seeing on CBC. You can also use an antenna 

0 Kudos
Mcewena
Channel Surfer

Remain calm.

No.  I didn’t expect *any* additional CDN content news when I bought the Roku so this was a nice surprise.  However as I said in my first post that specific channel is not the CBC news channel I remember from my cable era, so my question was whether that cable/satellite channel (not an ota channel) has gone down hill over the years or is this some sort of “lite” version.

It’s ok if you don’t know, have a nice day.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

I’m a fine. Lol. So when you had cable TV and watch Ch 105 what was the local network name? Like my local channel 30 is NBC WVIT. For CBS it WFSB. What ever channel 105 was in your area you might find they make a free channel for Roku. My local news does

0 Kudos
Mcewena
Channel Surfer

my old cable provider offer a “CBC News Network” channel as part of their basic package (ch 27 locally) along side the local cbc feed (the later is also in Gem).   Roku has “CBC News” as 105 (I assume Roku content differs by country?).  It looks similar but the content doesn’t match what the cable schedule website says for the same time slot for CBCNN.    It looks like an airport departure lounge or hotel lobby version but even then there’s no headline or temperature crawler or even the current time.   The news items are days/weeks old except for the marque news program which is already available any time on YouTube so I guess I was cat fished by the title/logo.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Wait a minute. Are you watching this using the Roku Channel Live TV? Or did you download the CBC News channel for Roku? I never watch the Roku channel. 

https://channelstore.roku.com/en-ca/details/0242a278cfe3c00df08bd29bafb25b79/cbc-tv

0 Kudos