Channels & viewing

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sj20924
Level 9

Bug report - Roku Media Player (version 5.5, build 12) screensaver problem

@RokuChris

In the latest Roku Media Player (version 5.5, build 12), there's a bug with the screensaver.  When you pause a video long enough for the screensaver to turn on, the screensaver will often be displayed over the paused video (with the paused video frame still visible) while the entire screen flickers non-stop.  This occurs until you unpause the video.

This bug was introduced in the latest version of Roku Media Player.  It didn't occur in the previous version.  The bug doesn't occur every single time, but it occurs quite often.  In the past few hours, it's happened 3-4 times already.

I've uploaded a picture of the bug occurring here: https://imgur.com/a/V2HPW0d

You can see the screensaver displayed over the video frame.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Bug report - Roku Media Player (version 5.5, build 12) screensaver problem

@sj20924

Thanks for the post.

I have passed along your concerns and the information you have provided to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
sj20924
Level 9

I'm not certain, but this bug might have been fixed in the latest Roku OS update (10.5.0, build 4201-46).  At least I haven't seen it happen since the update.

0 Kudos
sj20924
Level 9

@RokuDanny-R 

The bug is happening again on Roku software version 10.5.0, build 4208-46.  I'm using a Roku Ultra 4670X.

This time, I recorded a video showing the screensaver displayed over the non-stop flickering screen: https://imgur.com/a/LWnTgPZ

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@sj20924

Thanks for the follow up.

Are you seeing this issue on the Roku Media Player with all content or on specific format content?

In the meantime, I have passed along your concerns and information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
sj20924
Level 9

@RokuDanny-R 

I only use Roku Media Player to play .mp4 files, so that's the only file type I've seen the issue with.  I don't know if it also happens with other file types.

One thing I've noticed is that when paused on a certain frame of the video, if the bug happens, and then I press "play" to get rid of the screensaver (at which point the video is still paused on the same video frame), if I let the screensaver run again on the same frame, the bug happens again.  So even though the bug doesn't happen every time the video is paused (on different video frames), it seems reproducible when paused on specific video frames.

Edit: I tested a .mkv file, and the bug does happen with that file type also.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@sj20924

Thanks for the additional information.

I have passed it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos