Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bring back Genesis Science Network!

How do I lodge a complaint? Without warning, Roku demanded that this network pay four times their existing rate and remove the app when they could not pay it. Disgusting

4 REPLIES 4
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Bring back Genesis Science Network!

What evidence do you have? I'm not sure if there is a fee to have an app. There may be fees if an app is subscription and uses Roku for payments.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

That was a channel created using Roku's Direct Publisher.  Roku announced in June that that was going away January 18, 2024 so anyone using it has had about 6 months to adapt their channel to a newer platform.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Skybeneath

Where was it announced in June that GSN would be off the air Jan 24?

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

I don’t know of an announcement about GSN, but here is the announcement of the end of Direct Publisher on Jan 18, as well as suggestions of how channels should migrate their apps. 

It wasn’t their goal to get rid of specific/any channel apps, but of course, almost any time a change like this happens there are some stragglers.  I’ve had a website since 1995 and every few years I am forced to change something or be considered broken/obsolete.  It’s kind of annoying sometimes but to quote Dr McCoy: “And they probably redesigned the whole sickbay, too! I know engineers, they love to change things.”

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos