Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lorenzo1950
Channel Surfer

Basic Roku on older television

I bought a basic Roku device to use with an older television set. Thought it would be a good idea to download the Roku software to my iPad to use it as a remote. When I click on any specific channel I get a pop-up message to sign up for a paid membership. Does this mean that I can only use my iPad as a remote if I pay the membership fee? I haven't lost my original remote.  

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Basic Roku on older television

Are you sure you installed the official Roku software? This is the official app:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/the-roku-app-official/id482066631 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Lorenzo1950,

Saw your post.

We can certainly understand your concern that you want to use the Roku mobile app as the remote for your Roku device.

Please be advised that the Roku mobile app doesn't have a cost, it's free and available to all customers.

For more information about getting the Roku mobile app, visit our Support page here: How to install the Roku mobile app | Official Roku Support

Additional topics you might find helpful:

If you need any additional help and we’ll follow up to continue assisting you.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Lorenzo1950
Channel Surfer

I bought an iPad recently and saw a bunch of Roku apps. I selected the one to use the iPad as a remote. I don't want to use it as a mobile app on my iPhone right now just on the iPad. I opened a few of my channels (Haystack and The Roku Channel are two) and a screen always pops up asking me to if I want a single month or yearly subscription. There is no way I could see to X out the pop-up so I am assuming this is not a free app. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Lorenzo1950 wrote:

I bought an iPad recently and saw a bunch of Roku apps. I selected the one to use the iPad as a remote. I don't want to use it as a mobile app on my iPhone right now just on the iPad. I opened a few of my channels (Haystack and The Roku Channel are two) and a screen always pops up asking me to if I want a single month or yearly subscription. There is no way I could see to X out the pop-up so I am assuming this is not a free app. 

It's likely a third party app not endorsed by Roku. Get the iOS (or iPadOS) app listed earlier.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

The official app has a remote control mode, in addition to other features. Get rid of that fake app, as it may even contain malware or other issues that put your privacy and security at risk.