Channels & viewing

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC iPlayer- opens fine, won't play any videos

Hi there, 

"Something went wrong loading this programme" is apparently usually a temporary problem according to the error message, but this has been all I've gotten out of the BBC iPlayer app for months and I've been having to use the very slow app on the smart TV instead.

I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, resetting, I've made sure it's not a problem with my internet (as mentioned, it works in smart TV) and I'm out of ideas. 

To summarise, the app opens fine, connects to my BBC account fine, brings up all the channels, shows and options fine, but WILL NOT play anything.

Thoughts?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: BBC iPlayer- opens fine, won't play any videos

Hey @Battenburg507

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

When you removed BBC iPlayer, did you restart your Roku device before re-installing the channel? That step is crucial when performing the troubleshooting. If you haven't tried the suggested order (remove > restart > re-install), we would recommend giving it a shot once again. To ensure the process is successful, make sure to restart the device from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings System System restart > Restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know if this works for you.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos

Hiya, unfortunately yes I did do that but it still doesn't work 😞 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Battenburg507

Appreciate the reply.

Channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. We highly suggest reaching out to the channel's customer support team to report the issue and get help. There's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them.

You can contact them here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/

Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos