Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gbarb
Channel Surfer

Apps not loading or taking a long time

My Sharp Roku TV (Roku TV 7201X- Model LC-43LBU591U) was working fine until Friday. When opening certain apps like Amazon it would not load. As the weekend went on things got worse and other apps were affected. I did System Updates, unplugged the TV, and tonite (Sunday) nothing would load at all so I did a Factory Reset. The Software version is 10.5.0- build 4198-38. Certain apps like YouTube and Netflix are working but taking forever to load, while HBOMax loads but won't let me watch anything, and VUDU and Amazon Prime give me "cannot load" messages. I've been reading there are recent update issues/bugs...is this my problem and I just need to wait it out? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!!

19 REPLIES 19
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Apps not loading or taking a long time

@Gbarb-

Slow loading and other connectivity problems sound like the Roku is not establishing a good connection to your home network.

This has always worked for me to re-establish my net connection when it has been lost or not performing well:

• Restart your router (even if other devices have no problem finding and connecting). Sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Restart the Roku to clear its memory via Roku menu path Settings > System > System restart (for Roku TV and some Rokus running Roku 10.5 it's Settings > System > Power > System restart). Again sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Find and connect to your network via Settings> Network > Set up connection

If that doesn't fix it, try disconnecting the power to your Roku for a few seconds.  When it comes back up, see if you then can set up the network connection.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Csl2021

Same exact issues for be ever since the system updated last week. Tried every known solution and nothing works. 

Gbarb
Channel Surfer

I've done all that. Signal strength is good, and have even left the router off for an hour thinking the problem was there...but no problems with my computers and phones. And as I said, tonite I even did a factory reset and reloaded all the apps I use and only Netflix, YouTube, and Spotify work, tho' they take awhile to load. Even went and deleted a few, updated, unplugged, and reloaded to no avail. 

Also, since things have changed (like the way the sleep timer now sets) I've noticed a change in the TV's sound...things are louder in some cases, where I used to listen to Spotify on volume 8 and now I need to turn it down to 4.

0 Kudos
matrevino72
Binge Watcher

Same here, I thought it was my internet too, but I have great gigabit internet and a Ubiquiti router, I was reading that Roku is being hit with an infringement ban for their devices, and is causing all kinds of issues with their updates they are sending out. Unfortunately the article does not go into detail about what exactly the infringement is, but apparently is now causing their devices to freak out. I can say with almost 100% certainty it's not my internet connection, every time I test on the tv i'm getting at least 177Mbps or better. When I have an problem with a channel loading I have to back out, load a different one, and then go back to the original one, then it will load. After that, not a single issue, no buffering, no skipping, Nada!

Ain't nothin To it But To Do it
0 Kudos
morgzmetz

Did you ever find a solution?

0 Kudos
smotty14

Any solutions yet or will Roku fix it?

0 Kudos
Gbarb
Channel Surfer

Seems it was on Roku's end with their system update.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@smotty14 @Gbarb

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?
With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
kdskidoo

hi, we are having a similar issue.  we have 2 TCL roku tv's, a smaller one and a 65" series 5 4k model.  the larger one is the one we are having problems with.  everything was working fine until Tuesday evening.  when we turned the tv on it would not connect to the wifi.  everything else connected to the wifi properly but we did unplug the router for a minute.  that didn't work, so we unplugged the tv.  that worked to get us connected but now when we go to watch a program on any app it takes a long time to load and sometimes it stalls at 33% or tells us the subscription has ended or something having to do with a "balloon failed".  but if we exit and go back in it seems to load and eventually play the episode, but still takes a long time to load.  once the episode plays it seems to play without issue.