Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Buick8
Reel Rookie

AppleTV won't play "Video Not Available"

Same here, just started this week, worked fine last week when I was watching Slow Horses (Wednesday the 8th). Now I can open the app, choose a show, watch a trailer, then a recap, then it says the video isn't available, check my network connection. Very frustrating (the network is fine and all other apps load videos perfectly).

9 REPLIES 9
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: AppleTV won't play "Video Not Available"

Welcome, and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @Buick8.

Thanks for raising your playback issues with the Apple TV channel on your Roku streaming device. Worry no more; we would be more than willing to find you the best course of action.

For us to better understand the issue you are experiencing, can you please provide us with more detailed information:

• Do you observe this behavior while using any other channel(s) on your device?
  • What specific troubleshooting methods you have taken to try and resolve the playback issue?
  • What Roku model device are you using?
  • Have you tried removing the channel? Then, restart your device. Once it loads up again, add the channel back once more and try playing content again.

One additional suggestion we would like for you to try is you check for a manual system update by navigating to Home > Settings > System > System update > Check now and seeing if you notice any difference.

We also recommend taking a look at our Support page to troubleshoot playback issues: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

We'll be anticipating your response as we are more than eager to find you the best resolution possible. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
Ckriver

Same issue: app is up to date, subscription is active per the app. I did get a notice that rates for app are increasing next month to 9.99 from 6.99.  When you click trouble shoot message is as described by other poster

0 Kudos
Ckriver

And it will play on my iPad 

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, @Ckriver!

We'd be more than happy to find you the best resolution regarding the playback issues you've been having with the Apple TV app on your Roku streaming player. 

We suggest trying to perform the basic troubleshooting method to see if this will make any difference. 

Kindly try to remove the channel by navigating to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, pressing the star * button on your remote, and choosing "Remove channel." After doing so, try restarting your device from Settings > System > Power > System Restart. After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku channel store and add the channel again.

If the issue still persists, we highly suggest trying to contact Customer Support of Apple TV because they are the ones who created, maintained, and updated their app on the Roku streaming platform. 

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
cynb
Binge Watcher

This must be an Apple issue. That or time for a programmers' meeting.  I've never had this issue with your other channels. 

So, when I couldn't watch Ted Lasso I followed your instructions and everything was perfect. 

Now, fast forward a few days, and I decide to watch Lessons in Chemistry. Same thing happens. I have to delete the app, follow instructions to do that system restart, add the channel back in, yada yada. Makes it frustrating to bother watching Apple for sure, but Apple is the only app I've had this problem with so something in the software isn't playing nicely with Roku.

0 Kudos
Steferdlis

If you're experiencing the "Video Not Available" issue on your Apple TV, first, ensure that your internet connection is stable and that the streaming service is not experiencing any outages. Additionally, check if there are any pending updates for your Apple TV software or the streaming app itself.

If the issue persists, consider reaching out to an Affordable web designer in Chicago who can help optimize the user interface and functionality of the streaming service's website or app. They can address potential design or compatibility issues that may be causing the "Video Not Available" problem, providing a more seamless streaming experience for Apple TV users.

0 Kudos
cynb
Binge Watcher

Pffft. Why would I pay someone when this is an AppleTV/Roku issue only? It's called the off button, or changing to a different channel. Roku chat moderators' restart solution works for me, and only takes a few minutes, but we shouldn't have to do that every time we start a new series on Appletv (especially with multiple tvs in the house), it's only happened on AppleTV so far, and I'm a long time Roku user but only recently subscribed to Apple, so the programming/compatibility issue seems to be between Apple and Roku. Nothing to do with my internet connection. I rotate my premium streaming platforms every few months anyway so it's Apple's revenue loss.

0 Kudos
cynb
Binge Watcher

Just to update...I had to do the restart steps for Ted Lasso, finished the series, went to watch Lessons In Chemistry. Same thing. Had to go thru all the steps of removing AppleTV, restarting, etc. Finished that, went to watch the Morning Show...*sigh*...same thing. Leaving AppleTV in the dust for now. Shouldn't have to do this for every show.  They are raising prices Dec 1 to $10? Nope and nope. They need to fix this.

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @cynb,

Thanks for keeping in touch here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've taken to resolve this issue. If the issue remains unresolved, we recommend contacting the channel provider directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to assist you best.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos