Channels & viewing

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lalan84
Level 7

Anybody know which device will be supported by Amazon Prime beginning Noivember 1st?

Got a notice from Amazon that my Roku device will no longer be supported November 1st. they provided a link to some one i could buy but at this time I buy the one they suggest ( $90+). I just want a basic model , but can't get any answers if it will be supported or not. Model numbers on not listed on the Amazon site. Does anybody know which ones will be supported?

8 REPLIES 8
vitamarie
Level 7

Re: Anybody know which device will be supported by Amazon Prime beginning Noivember 1st?

Amazon Devices with the Prime Video App

The following Amazon devices have access to Prime Video.

Note: Not all Prime Video titles support all features.
Fire TV/Fire TV Stick
  • Streaming Video Quality - up to Ultra HD
  • Sound quality - up to 5.1 surround sound, Dolby Atmos
  • Closed Captions (Subtitles) - Yes
  • Audio Description - Yes
  • Live Streaming - Yes (on software version 5.2.6.0 or later)
  • Live ad support - Yes
  • Ad supported channels - Yes
  • Profiles Supported - Yes, through the Prime Video app
Echo devices with a screen (such as Echo Show, Echo Spot)
  • Streaming Video Quality - Standard Definition
  • Sound quality - stereo
  • Audio Description - Yes
  • Live Streaming - Yes (on software version 594447320, and up)
  • Live ad support - Yes
  • Ad supported channels - Yes for sporting events, No for Prime Video Channels
Fire Tablet
  • Streaming Video Quality - up to HD
  • Sound quality - up to 5.1 surround sound, where supported
  • Audio Description - Yes (except for Kindle Fire, 1st generation)
  • Live Streaming - Yes, on generation 7 models and newer
  • Live ad support - Yes
  • Ad supported channels - Yes, on generation 7 models and newer
  • Profiles Supported - Yes, through the Prime Video app

https://www.primevideo.com/help/ref=atv_hp_nd_cnt?nodeId=GJNRWRVL52FFHJ82

0 Kudos
sd1976
Level 7

Re: Anybody know which device will be supported by Amazon Prime beginning Noivember 1st?

I have the same questions and cannot get them answered. I want the streamstick as that is all I have the room for and don't want a bunch of gawdy cables.  I know what I am going to do. I am going to get a Amazon FIrestick. If Roku cannot be a bit more transparent, I will leave them behind. Don't support your customers, I will no longer support them. I am only one customer, but my guess is others will follow. 

StreamerUser
Level 20

Everything newer than the ones listed:

The specific models no longer supported are: 3500X, 2710X, 2720X, 2700X, 3050X, 3100X, 2400X, 3000X, 2500X, 2450X, 3400X, and 3420X as of 1st November, 2021.

Essentially, if the model # is higher than any of these model numbers, Prime will work.

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@sd1976- It is not Roku but Amazon that is not being transparent.  Roku provides the platform on which the channel apps run, but the channel owners, in this case Amazon, create the Roku-compatible versions of their streaming apps, and decide which older models they will maintain support for.

Coding for the apps gets much more complex and difficult to maintain when they try to maintain compatibility with older models that lack the capabilities of later models.

I can find no listing on Amazon re which Roku models Amazon has written their Prime Video Roku channel app to run on. I did find the information below on a rokuguide.com article about Prime Video. As of 24 August, 2021, this article had not been updated to reflect newer Roku models, but one can assume they are supported as well.

[If you need to find your Roku model number, Roku menu path Settings > System > About will show it to you.]

• Prime Video is available for:
    Roku 2 (except for models 2720x and 2720EU) - see update below
    Roku 3 (except for model 4230x)
    Roku Express)
    Roku Express+
    Roku Streaming Stick (except for models 3400x, 3500x and 3500EU)
    Roku Streaming Stick+
    Roku Premiere
    Roku Premiere+
    Roku Ultra
    Roku TVs.

UPDATE -- Amazon has announced in emails to Roku owners that, effective November 1, 2021, their Prime Video will no longer support the following older Roku model numbers:
Roku 2 HD/XD/XS models 2050X, 2500X, 2720X, 3000X, 3100X
Roku LT models 2400X, 2450X, 2700X
Roku SE model 2710X
Roku Streaming Stick models 3400X, 3420X, 3500X

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@lalan84 

Any current Roku device will work, and will work for years to come.

Amazon's list of no longer supported devices are all from 2014 or earlier. Amazon didn't even make devices prior to 2014, and Amazon's own 2014 devices are long unsupported.

Roku still supports four of the devices in the Amazon drop list, although I would recommend replacing any of those anyway. In fact, I'd also replace a 3600 Stick, which isn't in the drop list, but that's just my recommendation.

Is your Roku device seven years old? If not, you're worrying over nothing.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
NCC1
Level 7

Here is the message I got from Amazon:

Dear Customer,

Amazon will no longer be supporting the Prime Video app on your Roku device (The specific models no longer supported are: 3500X, 2710X, 2720X, 2700X, 3050X, 3100X, 2400X, 3000X, 2500X, 2450X, 3400X, and 3420X) as of 1st November, 2021. We are continually upgrading our service and this occasionally means we can no longer support certain device models.

0 Kudos
Humanperson
Level 7

I would say get a Roku 4. you can find one for cheap on Ebay, and they work pretty well.

0 Kudos
Humanperson
Level 7

(They will stay in support for probably at least another few years.)

0 Kudos