Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CSB2
Reel Rookie

Amazon video keeps crashing

Jump to solution

Hi all, 

I have tried EVERY fix I can find and still can’t watch any content on prime. The issue occurs after going into the app, clicking on a title and pressing play, at this point, without fail, I am redirected back to the home page. 

Things tried include:

1. logging out of the app

2. deleting and reinstalling app

3. checking for app updates

4. checking for device updates

5. turning the device off and on

6. System restart

I’d be so grateful for any advice as feel like we’re wasting our subscription at the moment.

thanks  

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Dw6
Channel Surfer

Re: Amazon video keeps crashing

Jump to solution

I have a RCA Roku tv and the Amazon prime app kept crashing just after 5 or 10 seconds of starting a movie. So I unplugged the tv and waited about 15 seconds and plugged back in. So far so good. Had not crashed yet. 

View solution in original post

RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone, 

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

If the issue persists after removing then reinstalling Prime Video and after trying the workaround solution in this thread, we recommend contacting the channel's customer support team to report the issue and get help. 

Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developer themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them.

You can reach Amazon Support here: Amazon Customer Service Support

Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

53 REPLIES 53
Z06
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Which Roku model do you own? What’s the model number? You aren’t paying for a Prime Video subscription. Prime video, music, 2 days shipping and more is included with your Amazon Prime membership. Also you need to remove the app in steps. Remove, restart, reinstall. In that specific order. But Prime is working on all of my Roku Sticks, Ultra and TVs

0 Kudos
CSB2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi @Z06 @thanks for the response. It’s a Roku express 3930X if that helps? I feel like I’ve tried a number of combinations from various forums on removing and reinstalling the app but it still crashes. Any other model-specific tips much appreciated. Thanks

0 Kudos
Z06
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@CSB2  You keep on saying that you’re removed and reinstalled the Prime channel. But the proper steps are remove, restart, reinstall. It has to be in that specific order. And by restart I don’t mean turn your TV off. You actually have to restart your Roku device. Is this happening on any other channel? Netflix? Hulu? Please keep in mind that Roku does not develop the Amazon Prime video channel. Amazon is the developer of the channel. I use Prime Video all the time and it never crashes on any of my Roku devices. Prime is the only channel that crashes?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue with the Amazon Prime app. Pretty sure every single person who subscribes to Amazon is well aware of the fact that Roku doesn't develop the app. Also pretty sure that the fact it hasn't happened to you personally means absolutely nothing. Following the steps above (yes, including restarting the Roku device) doesn't fix it. 

mrich17

Jump to solution

I have the same issue. I removed the app, restarted the roku and installed the app again. So far so good. 

WilliamZ

Jump to solution

Same is happening to me. I deleted the app and reinstalled it, and it did not fix the issue. 

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @WilliamZ,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

Note: When removing a channel, please make sure to restart your Roku device before adding the channel back again, specifically in that order to ensure the process is successful.

If this issue is not resolved, please let us know along with any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team in further investigating this problem. Kindly include the following information:

1. Are you using a Roku TV or a Roku device?
2. Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?
3. Are you receiving error messages or codes when accessing the channel?
4. What are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are experiencing?
5. How long has the issue been occurring?

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
PKinVA
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It started happening to me recently.  Sometimes if I open the app multiple times, it will finally work.  I have a TCL Roku TV 7133X, model 65S423.  Only happening with Prime Video.  Everything else working well.

Portalogem
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I just launched the Amazon Prime channel after PKinVA's post, and it's totally different looking, meaning the channel had a major update, so it may be glitchy for a bit till Amazon resolves all the glitches. I repeated the steps users had and didn't experience the crash, so my Roku Ultra device doesn't seem to be affected currently. I'm unsure if this will help you PKinVA, but it may be a cache problem with the new update conflicting with the old channel version on your TV. However, if it's on Amazon's end, there is little you can do until they resolve it, but there are temporary workarounds that you can do. These workarounds aren't very pretty, but at least you can watch that channel's content until this issue is resolved. Usually, these types of glitches are device-specific, meaning that even though the Prime video channel is not working on your TV right now, it's working on other streaming devices, including Roku devices.

So try this instead of the above steps:

1) Remove the channel (same as above)

2) Clear the cache -- this won't hard reset the Roku and won't clear your passwords.

On the remote: Press the Home button 5 times, Up button 1 time, Rewind button "<<" 2 times, and Fast-forward button ">>" 2 times.

The Roku will flip the menu up three times, freeze and then restart.

3) Add the channel (same as above)

You can also try manually updating the Roku, which will only work if Amazon has rolled out a patch. 

Try using Amazon, and if that doesn't work, repeat these same steps but log out of your account first:

Tap the left arrow to get to the menu, scroll down to settings, and scroll down to sign out. Then repeat the above steps. Then log in and hope for the best.

Hopefully, this fixes the problem once you sign back in. If it doesn't, then Amazon needs to fix the problem on their end. If this issue continues, since this might be specific to your Roku TV, you need to contact Amazon and let them know you can't access Prime video.

Now here are the non-pretty workarounds if the above steps didn't work, and you probably won't like them, but it will get you watching Amazon again asap: If you have a Roku device, for the time being, you can try to connect that device to your TV and see if you can watch Amazon on that until this issue is resolved with your TV. 

Another one of my very non-pretty suggestions (which Roku probably won't like) is to have a redundant backup streaming device to attach to your TV (that's not a Roku), so when channel glitches occur after major updates, you can temporarily switch to that other device, so you can continue watching the channel's contents until it's resolved on your Roku TV. It's not the best solution to have to attach a Roku or a non-Roku streaming device to a Roku TV, told you it wasn't pretty, and it can be expensive to have to buy yet another TV streaming device, but it's helpful in a pinch when a channel is glitching on one device, and you want to watch something on that channel now instead of waiting for the glitch to be resolved, which usually doesn't take all that long, but it's super annoying having to wait, I know.

I'm not implying switching to a different device permanently because all devices glitch at times, but just to have another device when this happens. Once the channel provider fixes the issue, you can then switch back. It is very unlikely that two different devices will have a channel glitch at the same time. For the time being, if Amazon keeps crashing and you don't have another streaming device, if you have a PC, you can attach that to the TV and watch your movie/show that way until this is resolved on Amazon's end. Or, if you have a tablet, you can mirror the screen to the TV. Again not a pretty workaround, but it's something you can do until Amazon resolves this.

I know these non-pretty workarounds aren't what you want to hear if the above steps didn't work, but at least you can do a temporary workaround so you can at least watch your movies/shows now. And once Amazon fixes this, you can then watch Amazon directly on your TV again, and soon you will be able to; you just have to be patient till it's patched.