Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbbrady63

Adding local broadcast channels on Roku Ultra

Jump to solution

Is it possible to add local broadcast channels on Roku Ultra, other than just local news stations?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mop_891
Roku Guru

Re: Coaxial cable with cable channels to USB. Will that work on a ROKU Ultra?

Jump to solution

@FranklinJ  Short answer,no. There is nothing inside the ROKU to decode cable TV signals, by that I mean no tuner. Nor will it "pass through" any cable TV signal. The USB port is for data only. Like music and photos and compatible video files.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
mop_891
Roku Guru

Re: Adding local broadcast channels on Roku Ultra

Jump to solution

@jbbrady63 

Only if they have some app available on ROKU. If you are thinking there is some way to hook up an antenna and receive over the air broadcasts, it's impossible. No antenna input and no tuner in any ROKU steaming device.

arthurk
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Good morning!

I have a Roku Ultra and am able to get the broadcast channels using an antenna (indoor) attached to the back of the TV. Once the antenna is attached to the TV, I searched for broadcast channels (there are many) then deleted those I didn't want.

I switch to and from the TV to Roku using my remote. Using the source button at the top of my TV remote I can choose "TV" for the broadcast channels, or "HDMI" to then use the Roku remote.

I hope this helps.

FranklinJ
Binge Watcher

Coaxial cable with cable channels to USB. Will that work on a ROKU Ultra?

Jump to solution

I have a TV with both HDMI inputs and cable input. I have a ROKU Ultra with a USB port plugged into HDMI1. if I want to watch cable, I have to switch with TV remote from HDMI to cable. 
can I use a converter on the Coaxial cable (with cable channels)  to USB and will that work on the USB ROKU Ultra port?

if I use a coax to HDMI converter and plug that into the flat screen TV HDMI port will the ROKU allow me to auto switch to cable?

0 Kudos
FranklinJ
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have a coax cable with cable TV. 
the Roku Ultra has a USB input. 
if I get a coax to USB converter, either the ROKU Ultra recognize the video signal on the USB?

0 Kudos
mop_891
Roku Guru

Re: Coaxial cable with cable channels to USB. Will that work on a ROKU Ultra?

Jump to solution

@FranklinJ  Short answer,no. There is nothing inside the ROKU to decode cable TV signals, by that I mean no tuner. Nor will it "pass through" any cable TV signal. The USB port is for data only. Like music and photos and compatible video files.

FranklinJ
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I don’t want to use the TV remote to switch between cable and Roku Ultra on the HDMI. 
Will a coax to USB converter connected to the USB port on the ROKU Ultra do it?

the TV has multiple HDMI ports.

will a Coax to HDMI converter connected directly to the TV register with the ROKU so I can switch on the ROKU Ultra menu?

0 Kudos
mop_891
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.