Channels & viewing

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PA236
Level 8

Adding channels on Roku player

I did a factory reset now I can’t add a lot of previous channels such as Peacock, or Discovery plus. 

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Adding channels on Roku player

@PA236 

When you tie your Roku device to your Roku account, the apps are supposed to download automatically.

But there's another question I have. What was the issue that caused you to take the drastic step of doing a factory reset? One would not normally do that unless something is wrong and the issue can't be fixed any other way. So, why the factory reset?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
PA236
Level 8

In hindsight it was a rash decision on my part. I hadn’t used this device in quite a while. I went to add a channel and was prompted for my pin. I tried every 4 digit pin I’ve used and none of them worked. So rather than take a moment and explore my options I went full nuclear mode and pushed the big red button of factory reset, for which I am now kicking myself. But I definitely was not expecting to have an issue such as this.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@PA236 

This could be an easy fix.

Your Roku is tied to the same account you use to log in to this forum, right? Settings > System > About (email address listed near top)

If so, go to https://my.roku.com/ and log in there.

See the PIN Preference section? Go there and set the PIN to what you want it to be. That's all you have to do.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
PA236
Level 8

Right I’ve already reset the pin. I wish I had done that prior to doing the factory reset. The issue I am having now is that it’s almost as if it’s looking at my Roku as if it’s in a different country and it’s geo-restricting my access to apps I want to download. Does that make sense. So things like Peacock and Discovery plus don’t show up in the menu. I have to go on the app to find them and then the button to add them is not selectable. Hopefully that’s making sense.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@PA236 

Yes, that does make sense. You'll need to get with @RokuDanny-R , @RokuKariza-D , or @Jeremiah-Roku about your account.

That can happen if your Roku account was set up in a way that Roku thought you were outside the U.S. Of if you were actually outside the U.S. Unless you create a new account in the U.S. (which is an option) your best bet would be to get one of the people from Roku work to get your account converted to US.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
makaiguy

I'm not sure about this, but I don't think a PIN is needed to install channels THAT ARE ALREADY PRESENT ON YOUR ROKU ACCOUNT after a Factory Reset.  Were you asked to enter one?

Some channels have regional restrictions.  When you set this back up following the Factory Reset, or when trying to install channels later, might you have been connected to the internet via a VPN that masked your location?

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
DBDukes

@makaiguy 

What I think he is saying is that he got the PIN message, and before changing the PIN preferences, did a factory reset. Now the OCONUS account is preventing apps from downloading.

At least that's what I'm reading. But I don't read so good.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
PA236
Level 8

@DBDukes @You are reading correctly (at least n this case haha) I attempted to use my Roku 2 device to add some channels as I was ousted from my regular TV watching location. When I attempted to add Discovery plus I was prompted for a Pin. At that point like an idiot I did a factory reset. Even after that I was prompted for a pin. So then I went online and figured out how to reset my pin. But I still have no way to add discovery plus or a variety of other channels now.

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 17

The "Roku 2" name was used on several models introduced in 2011-2013.  Some newer channels don't support older Rokus, so that may be part of the current problem.