Channels & viewing

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RiverRat2021
Level 7

Re: Ability to turn off Netflix Auto Play?

Jump to solution

I keep having the same problem where I just select a movie on Netflix to read the description and it starts autoplaying on my Roku. I just got off a chat with Netflix and they stated it's an actual intended feature they created and at this moment there is no way to turn it off. We can only turn off the preview on the main screen and the automatic playback when an episode is over, but not the automatic playback when in the title screens. They put some feedback in and I told them if it's not broke don't mess with it and many of us are complaining about it. The only thing I can suggest is if we have actual issues with it just keep flooding Netflix with negative feedback on it and maybe they will do away with it.

0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 14

Jump to solution

@RiverRat2021 wrote:

I keep having the same problem where I just select a movie on Netflix to read the description and it starts autoplaying on my Roku. I just got off a chat with Netflix and they stated it's an actual intended feature they created and at this moment there is no way to turn it off.

I don't see Netflix changing this anytime soon. They use a metric for the 'viewing' of a movie or tv series as 2 minutes of movie or 2 minutes of one episode of a tv series. When you see those numbers published that 80M people watched a tv series in the first month, it could have been 80M people mistakenly started the first episode of a series and didn't stop it until 2 minutes had streamed. It is a way for them to market their service to future subscribers. Not exactly transparent, but it is what it is.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | FTV4K Max
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | FTV4K Max
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | FTV4K Max
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | ONN 5.1.2 Dolby ATMOS Soundbar | FTV4K Max
0 Kudos
actnc
Level 7

Jump to solution

Followed directions to delete Netflix app on Roku, restart Roku from Settings/System, add Netflix app back to Roku, open app, reenter Netflix login information, open Netflix app and click on a show’s “More Info” to read description, but show still auto plays. So annoying!!!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Netflix auto play is not controlled within the app/channel. You have to log into your Netflix account on a computer and go into the settings there. Removing and installing the channel won't change anything. And I believe even that setting doesn't stop all auto-play. Yes, I agree it's annoying. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
NetflixBlows
Level 8

Jump to solution

What’s really frustrating is that Netflix always responds with the same BS about turning off the auto preview as if they don’t know what we’re talking about. They know EXACTLY what we’re talking about. It’s the same on every single Roku it’s not like it’s a bug that they have to reproduce. And since it’s an intentionally programmed feature, they know what we’re talking about. They also know none of their customers like it.

So quit getting gaslighting us Netflix. I’ve essentially just stopped watching them on the Roku because of this extremely annoying feature. there’s a plug-in that you can watch your Netflix on a Cody box so I basically only use the Roku for non-Netflix viewing.

0 Kudos
bhobson
Level 7

Jump to solution

This is NOT about auto preview or auto next episode.  These are different things and I have successfully shut them both off.

This is when you jump into show or movie to read more about it or see the actors...and the flipping show just starts playing.

I have contacted NetFlix and they say it is 100% a Roku issue.  It is maddening!  I've either got to get rid of netflix or get rid of Roku.  (roku ultra, 4, 3, 2)

0 Kudos
NetflixBlows
Level 8

Jump to solution

Roku says it 100% Netflix issue. I tend to believe them since Netflix is the one who writes the app. It also doesn’t happen on any other Roku apps. It also happens on Apple TV so how is it a Roku problem?

Netflix is constantly pushing auto play everything and they’re also the ones that pretend that it’s not an issue where is Roku acknowledges it 100%.

So not only is it a Netflix issue but it they prefer since it’s gone on for years and they have never even tried to fix it or even admit it is a feature/problem

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@bhobson wrote:

I have contacted NetFlix and they say it is 100% a Roku issue.  

Netflix is hosing you. Roku has no control over what happens within the Netflix app. Netflix, and only Netflix, controls how things work within the app. I just checked Netflix on both my Shield and my Ultra 4800. The video did not begin to play in the background on the Shield but it did on the Roku. Again, Netflix is in complete control of the functionality of their channel. That's simply the way they are programming their channel on Roku devices to work.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.