Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joep2
Channel Surfer

2 Roku's But Different Content

One is a Roku TV and has 41 Channels and all of the current subscribed streaming channels, Version 12.0.0 Build 4182 the other is a old Roku2 Model 3100X, Version 9.1.0, Build 5009-02.  The "old" Roku box functions OK but the number of channels and the streaming channels do not match the Roku TV although they are running on the same account.

Is the Roku2 obsolete and needs to be replaced or is there a way to match the content on the Roku TV?  I did check for a software update on both Roku's.

Thanks

Joe P

0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: 2 Roku's But Different Content

The 3100 is a legacy model that came out in 2011.  You can use it for as long as you like, though it no longer receives OS updates and quite a few modern channel/apps don’t support it.

0 Kudos
Joep2
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the fast response, Strega!!

I had an idea that it was time for a new device after that many years!

Joe P

0 Kudos
Joep2
Channel Surfer

Strega,

I just did a search for new devices and I saw a Model 3932RD fro $20 new at Lowes.  I can't seem to find if that is also a "dated" device.  Your thoughts?

Joe P

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Joep2-

Roku2 3100X was released in 2011 and is no longer supported by Roku.  The last Roku update it received was version 9.1, initially rolled out in April 2019.  There have been eight Roku updates since then, with 12.0 being the current release.

The developers of some of the newer channels were written to use the enhanced capabilities of more recent Roku models and can't be loaded on older less advanced models.  A number of popular current channel apps are not compatible with the 3100x, among them are Apple TV, Disney+, ESPN, MAX, Hulu, iHeartRadio, Paramount+, Peacock, Peloton, Sling, YouTubeTV, Xfinity Stream.

The Streaming Channels option on the Roku's home screen will only list channels that can be installed on that particular device and geographic region.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Hmm I don’t see that model in the Roku Wikipedia page. (Maybe it needs an update.) I can’t find too much about that, but I think it’s essentially a special deal Roku Express. (3930)

I think most people here would recommend the Roku Express 4K+ at $40 – faster platform with twice the RAM and 8 times as much storage, Wi-Fi remote with TV controls… Also, the 4K+ has both 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi, whereas the basic Express models have been 2.4GHz only. (Though like I said, this one isn’t in the Wikipedia page.)

But $20 is awfully cheap, which is also attractive!

0 Kudos
Joep2
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the clarification makaiguy, it was helpful.

Joe P

0 Kudos
Joep2
Channel Surfer

www.lowes.com/pd/Roku-Roku-HD-Smart-Streaming-Device-with-Remote-Control-Included/5014066461

The Specs claim: 

Network Capability
Wi-Fi 802.11ac (2.4GHz/5Ghz)

Joe P

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

I *THINK* the 3932 is essentially the Express 3930 but comes with a WiFi Voice Remote instead of the basic IR Simple remote of the 3930.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Joep2
Channel Surfer

Thanks makaiguy...

The bottom line for me is, I can't get killed for $20 and anything is better than the ancient unit I currently have!!

Joe P

0 Kudos