Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doug79
Level 8

sling app change on or about July 2021, menu problems

Jump to solution

The ROKU player is only as good at the app that drives it.

I love my ROKU Ultra but about 2 weeks ago the SLING app changed (guess they were trying to show they were thinking). Now with unneeded pop up graphics its hard to run through what the channels are providing to determine what I want to record for later. The work around is to go on a computer and log in, they have not screwed that up yet. Things were better when you could select the show you want information on rather than have it forced on you constantly as you step through channels and times. Hope sling or ROKU developers see this and make some changes, also the work around might help other sling users as they battle their now poor preforming box.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
teckel
Level 8

Re: sling app change on or about July 2021, menu problems

Jump to solution

@RokuKariza-D wrote:

Channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel developer themselves. We suggest reaching out to Sling TV support directly to submit your feedback.

You can contact them here: https://help.sling.com/

I understand that, and have already contacted Sling, but they were not interested in assisting.   Sling doesn't offer a forum to post grievances, and it's specific to certain platforms (for example, the Sling app on Android isn't so bad).  The new Roku Sling app, however, is an abomination, which is why I posted here.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27\
syphon94
Level 7

Jump to solution

for real, they just ruined it. and its probably because some moron thought it'd be cool, hip, and cutting edge. it seriously gets under my skin when something works perfectly fine and then its f****** up in the name of progress. thanks sling! 

sbsaylor
Level 8

Jump to solution

I agree, Sling is useless on Roku. Firestick gives choice to upgrade or not. I use older Sling very well on Firestick. Menu ribbon is gone on Roku version. Cannot use Roku now.

sbsaylor
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yes, Sling needs to offer to upgrade format or not on Roku. The new Sling format is useless to see guide in ribbon view, only has grid that can will not go back in time! Firestick offered me a choice to upgrade Sling and I chose not to. It works well! I miss using Roku, but have to use Firestick now, as Sling has best TV streaming. Roku and Sling need to coordinate. I wrote Sling, they said no way to use old Sling version on Roku.

sbsaylor
Level 8

Jump to solution

Use Firestick. Older version of Sling is available there.

0 Kudos
C_I
Level 12

Jump to solution

@doug79 

As Danny the moderator always says, Roku does not own, manage or operate a lot of the apps on Roku. 

0 Kudos
phantoms
Level 8

Jump to solution

Not a big fan of the change either.

Waterpro
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am searching for a different streaming service after mandatory sling app upgrade. Fast forward in a recording is now totally useless.

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Waterpro

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact Sling support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Sling support here: https://www.sling.com/help/en

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
C_I
Level 12

Jump to solution

@doug79 wrote:

The ROKU player is only as good at the app that drives it.

I love my ROKU Ultra but about 2 weeks ago the SLING app changed (guess they were trying to show they were thinking). Now with unneeded pop up graphics its hard to run through what the channels are providing to determine what I want to record for later. The work around is to go on a computer and log in, they have not screwed that up yet. Things were better when you could select the show you want information on rather than have it forced on you constantly as you step through channels and times. Hope sling or ROKU developers see this and make some changes, also the work around might help other sling users as they battle their now poor preforming box.

As our moderator has stated on many occasions:

"Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. "