Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tonya_G
Roku Guru

Youtube: This channel did not launch please try again later.

Jump to solution

My Roku Ultra updated to the 10.5 Operating System a couple days ago and ever since, when I try to launch/open it, it says, "This channel did not launch please try again later." Well, I've been trying later repeatedly for the last 2 days, even uninstalling, restarting Roku, then reinstalling YouTube, and it still continues to do this. The only thing I have found to make it launch without getting this message is to restart my Roku AND I have to do this EVERY TIME I want to open YouTube - This is too much trouble!!!

Roku and Youtube: Please look into this issue and FIX IT!!! Please!!! I subscribe to YouTube Premium and this is usually the Roku Channel that I use most of the day. This is so frustrating!!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Youtube: This channel did not launch please try again later.

Jump to solution

@Tonya_G 

I have this 4660x with same 10.5 OS build numbers and Youtube Channel build numbers and am not experiencing the issue you are describing.  I do not have an SD card installed as you do though, so it may be a memory issue or an SD card issue as referenced by @DBDukes.  Kind of reinforced by you having to Restart the Roku Ultra in order for it to load the Youtube Channel again since the Restart will clear the device's cache. (similar to rebooting your computer).

I currently have 45 Channels installed, so if may be a matter that you just have too many Channels installed if needing to use an extra SD card for additional storage.  Since you mentioned you have close to 400 Channels installed, I think this is your underlying issue.  Again, using a computer as an example, if you fill up a harddrive completely with files, you really leave no room for the OS to perform functions (swap files, temp. creation, etc) and solely rely on RAM performance.  As such, this is probably not something Roku can address as it does not appear to be related to the 10.5 OS and Youtube per-se, as it is working on my Roku 4660x with similar specs.

If you were to factory reset your 4660x and downsize your Channel installation, I would anticipate that you would find your issue resolved.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Tonya_G 

You said you reinstalled the app, but there is a certain way to do this, and most people don't.

1. Remove the app
  2. Reboot the Roku
  3. Reinstall the app

All three steps, in that order. Most people don't do the order correctly. Make sure you do.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Tonya_G
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I stated in my post that I DID restart my Roku after uninstalling YouTube, then reinstalled it. - I unistalled it, went into Settings, and clicked on System Restart, and after Roku was fully rebooted, I went to Channel Store, located it, chose to install it, then tried to launch it - It launched the 1st time, but it went back to failing to launch since  Now, what is your solution? And, it's ONLY the Roku App/Channel that does this. This is either a Roku or YouTube problem, and it ONLY started after the automatic update to 10.5 operating system 2 days ago.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Tonya_G 

I totally missed that, sorry.

I'm using OS 10.5 to watch YouTube right now, so whatever is going on is not affecting all users. In fact, I'm watching YouTube right now on my Roku using 10.5. So it's working for me.

Most Ultra models (not the latest) support microSD cards. Is there one in yours? If so, remove it and see if that makes a difference.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Tonya_G
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I just uninstalled YouTube again, restarted my Roku using System Restart in settings, and then reinstalled YouTube and it launched fine. I then exited the YouTube app and I clicked on it and it launched again. I then clicked on the Sign In option in YouTube on the Roku so I can access my Playlists, History etc. Choosing to use the YouTube app on my phone as the sign in option and that worked and I watched a video. But, after this, I exited YouTube, went back to Roku Home Screen and then, clicked on the YouTube app to reopen and I'm back to getting the message that "This Channel will not launch please try again later." This is never ending.right now. It's up to Roku and YouTube right now to fix this. Meanwhile, I will go back to using my Fire TV Cube and My Chromecast until Roku and YouTube fix this. I do not want to Factory Reset my Roku Ultra and lose all my sign in info to all the channels and have to rearrange my 400 different channels on the Roku Home Screen again. - No Thank you!!!

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

[removed by author]

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Tonya_G
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I do have a Micro SD card in mine, but, I will lose channel sign in info to other channels though and/or storage space for those channels (368 channels). How would I go about safely removing the SD card though?

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Tonya_G 

Power down the Roku. Unplug it, essentially. Just pull the power plug from the back of the device.

You'll need to remove the HDMI cord (better to do that when not powered). Then you can press the card and it will pop out.

You want lose anything. Remember that it's only for additional channel (app) storage, to keep the apps from having to download again. If it's loading from the card, and there's an issue with the card, it can cause it to not load properly. With the card removed, it will remain in on-board storage, and should load. However, if you launch enough other apps to cause it to flush from on-board storage, it will need to download it next time it launches.

DBDukes

Tonya_G
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I did what you said - Removed MicroSD card etc. I opened YouTube and it launched fine and I was still signed into YouTube. However, when I exited YouTube, then relaunched it again, it did no launch and the message was displayed again. So, I uninstalled YouTube, restarted my Roku, reinstalled YouTube and I was able to relaunch it again. I watched a couple of videos without signing into YouTube. Then, I exited the app to go back to Roku Home screen and then clicked on YouTube to relaunch it, and, guess what? I get the message again that "This channel did not launch please try again later."

So, I've done all I can do without Factory Resetting my Roku Ultra which I'm unwilling to do because of all the trouble of rearranging all my channels on the Home Screen again and signing back into them. I do have a Chromecast and FireTV Cube I can use until Roku and YouTube work together to fix this. I'm done for now!!! I give up!!! I just can't watch YouTube on my Roku Ultra. That's it!!! End of story!! The end!!! Over and out! Goodbye YouTube on Roku!!! 👋👋👋

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Tonya_G wrote:

...  until Roku and YouTube work together to fix this. ...

The problem is that it's working for me and for most people. It's hard to determine the problem if it can't be replicated by those with the ability to fix it. I'm troubleshooting, and actually so are you. And you've done a good job, doing the things that you should do to either fix or gather information about it.

The end result is that you're experiencing an issue, and most people aren't. The only thing that might be useful that you haven't provided is the model number and the OS build. If you could provide that, perhaps @RokuDanny-R or @RokuKariza-D could pass it along to Roku support.

Settings > System > About

Roku model number. Roku OS (you said 10.5) to include the build.

Also, the app version to include the build.

There may be a certain combination of things that are unique to this issue, such as the fact there are multiple model numbers of a Roku Ultra, and there could be a different build on yours than on someone else's. If a common factor could be found, perhaps Roku can resolve it, whether something in an OS update, or Google issuing an update. You may be able to provide a key bit of information that helps resolve this.

DBDukes