Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mionephoenix
Reel Rookie

Why does Netflix keep stopping / freezing on Roku?

For about the last week my Netflix channel is very slow and then freezes while trying to stream on my TCL Roku TV. I checked for updates, nothing. I deleted and re-downloaded the channel, nothing. My account is working just fine on my phone, but not on the TV. Is it just me? Any ideas on how to fix this?

44 REPLIES 44
arcticair

Re: Why does Netflix keep stopping / freezing on Roku?

It's not just you. I have the same problem, but it's been happening for at least 6 months. There is major lag when navigating in the app, and then it soon freezes. I usually have to turn the TV off to be able to get back in.

I have similar weird lag with the volume controls when I'm in the HBO Max app. I also have a TCL Roku TV. I have tried deleting and replacing the app, and system restarts. Restarting sometimes seems to help for a day, but then the problem returns.

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Mionephoenix- After removing a channel, best practice is to restart your Roku to clear its memory before reinstalling the channel. Did you do this?

Restart via Settings > System > System restart (for Roku TVs: Settings > System > Power > System restart)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Mionephoenix 

@arcticair 

What I'm reading indicates the reinstallations you're doing aren't being done the right way. The order I see it listed is incorrect. There is a correct order, and that order is important. Now, this doesn't guarantee this will resolve, but the troubleshooting you are attempting isn't being done correctly.

Here are the steps, and the correct order. Skip any step, or do them out of order, and you're just wasting time. This is the order.

1. Remove the app
  2. Reboot the Roku. On a standard Roku device, it's Settings > System > System restart. On a Roku TV, its Settings > System > Power > System Restart > Restart
  3. Reinstall the app.

Doing it in 1,3,2 order won't work.

Again, no guarantee this will resolve, but you were attempting this. Ensure the attempt is correctly executed.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Mionephoenix
Reel Rookie

Thank you! This appears to have fixed the issue!

0 Kudos
nota4n1
Reel Rookie

Doesn't work for me.........................

Followed instructions to the letter. Still locks up.

MrBluePlaydoh
Streaming Star

It’s since their updates that they FORCE! on to us they are brinking our boxes to force us to upgrade! They are saying the same old rubbish every time. 

Aeh2
Reel Rookie

@Mionephoenix wrote:

For about the last week my Netflix channel is very slow and then freezes while trying to stream on my TCL Roku TV. I checked for updates, nothing. I deleted and redownloaded the channel, nothing. My account is working just fine on my phone, but not on the TV. 

Is it just me? Any ideas on how to fix this?

I am having same issue for months. Can't determine why. Even upgraded my bandwidth, but that didn't help. 

Exact same issue.  Following the Uninstall, reboot, reinstall pattern doesn't work.  This is on a brand new stream bar running latest firmware as of this posting

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @VideoHamster,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

I'd be happy to take a closer look to see how we can help get you up and running.
A few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing: 
1. Are you using a Roku TV or a Roku device?
2. Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?
3. Are you receiving error messages or codes when accessing the channel?
4. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?

Please be guided through this link if you are experiencing any channel playback issue in the Roku device: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support
Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos