Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
isis123456
Level 7

Re: HBO Max keeps freezes - then crashes back to home screen

Jump to solution

Yes and I am getting really tired of it.  I paid the 6mo subscription in advance but if I cannot watch the bloody program, I want my money back.  So is it HBOMax or Roku that is the problem??????????

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@isis123456 

You have to lay any problem with the channel at the feet of the provider. Roku does not create or maintain any channel on Roku devices other than The Roku Channel and Roku Media Player. They haven't released any updates to the Roku OS recently that would cause an issue with a channel. I use Max almost daily on my Roku Ultra 4800 without an issue, and sometimes use it on my other Roku devices. I haven't encountered any problem, but then all my players that I use are within 3-4 years old at most.

If your player is an older model, HBO might not have programmed their channel with that hardware in mind. I realize they have a list of supported devices, which they say is any device that has Roku OS 9.4 or later. But Disney too has a list of devices they claim support their channel but a few older ones don't. Part of the problem is that Roku reuses names on players that are completely different hardware, and the providers aren't being clear about which players they actually support.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Tmunice
Level 7

Jump to solution

This is BS. I signed up for HBOMax and paid. I am billed as Roku for Warnermedia direct. It was working but then channel disappeared. I reinstalled it but it asks for a sign in. What signin? I paid through Roku. How do I get back access to HBOMax that I already paid for?

0 Kudos
maxproandu
Level 9

HBO Max freezes when app opens home screen, only to close and return back to Roku home page

Jump to solution

We've been working on this problem with some help from inside HBO for about six weeks. What we've found so far, using over 30 devices, has been somewhat surprising.

The problem is in a limitation set by OS 9.4, mainly on players with less than 1GB of operating memory, and HBO's refusal to limit the size and function of their home page. After some candid conversations, it sounds as if both Roku and HBO have known about the problem almost from the start.

As the HBO Max apps home page opens, it reaches a maximum parameter as set by OS 9.4, and the channel is being closed out by the OS, not the app crashing as we originally expected. This is why you can enter the HBO Max channel through the Roku Search for videos to stream. It has little to do with the age of the device, as 3930X/3931X models were found in our samples to have the app "cache out" too, seemingly over a limitation in devices with less than or only 1GB of memory. We couldn't seem to get older models that support the appropriate added 2GB microSD card to handle the home page either, but our only test examples were a 4200X and a 4230X.

Thanks to the 3500X's BCM2835 for "freezing" long enough to see the OS "dump" happen. We're truly surprised that this stick hasn't become a legacy player by now. Our theory is that they sold so many of these 2nd Generation sticks so late in the game, and with most of them still in operation, that Roku didn't feel a need to close them off at OS 9.1. Plus the 3500X does have 512MB of memory which is enough to comfortably support 9.4, even if the SoC struggles with the OS.

So if both Roku and HBO understand the problem, why so much secrecy? It comes down to who's wrong and who's right, and at this point they're both at a stalemate. So is there a fix available that suits both parties? Not really.

Roku could recode in the form of OS 9.4.1 or OS 9.5, but this would cause older streaming players to run slower and/or possibly become unstable. Roku's OS code is very clean so to keep its size small and its operation as fast as possible. There's also no reason to recode for a single app that's not functioning properly. Few apps see problems like this and function just fine within the parameters of OS 9.4 on units with only 512MB.

And HBO's options are less than satisfactory too. They could cripple the app so that there's a less involved homepage, but players that currently work fine, like the 4800X, would all of a sudden see their homepage missing information that the player had originally. HBO could also release a second app possibly called "HBO Max Lite" that offers a much simpler homepage, but having two channels for the same product offered by Roku isn't something you see and we guess something that's not highly suggested. And writing a Roku app with the capability of supporting two or more types of hardware can be next to impossible while containing the size and quality of the app. It is being worked on though.

It may take Roku and HBO to make changes to both OS and app, requiring one individual or a single team to make unified decisions for both sides. Until then, it's best to stick with player that currently seems to work:

Roku 4  4400X
Roku Premiere  4620X
Roku Premiere+  4630X
Roku Ultra  4640X
Roku Ultra  4660X
Roku Premiere  3920X
Roku Premiere+  3921X
Roku Ultra  4661X
Roku Streaming Stick+  3810X **
Roku Streaming Stick+  3811X **
Roku Premiere  3920X  
Roku Ultra LT  4662X
Roku Ultra  4670X
Roku Ultra  4800X

4K Roku TV  6000X
4K Roku TV  7000X

** 1GB models known to both work and not work

If you have one of the above models where the HBO Max home screen closes to the Roku home page, please post. If you have a model not listed that can open the HBO Max home screen without having the OS close the app (no side loading from the Roku search), please post that model too.
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: HBO Max freezes when app opens home screen, only to close and return back to Roku home page

Jump to solution

@maxproandu 

The Roku TV 7xxx series appears to be fine with HBO Max as well. My 43" Sharp Roku TV loads the channel fine. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
ebgoldma
Level 8

Re: HBO Max freezes when app opens home screen, only to close and return back to Roku home page

Jump to solution

I have the Roku Streaming Stick+ 3811X and the HBO Max app does not work on this device.

0 Kudos
KarinAustin
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have the same problem. I cannot find any method to input my Spectrum account number to ROKU HBO Max to watch the programs. HOB Max is slow to load, then defaults back to the ROKU home channel page. The ROKU chat support was NO help whatsoever!

0 Kudos
KarinAustin
Level 7

Re: HBO Max keeps freezing - can't watch anything

Jump to solution

I have removed, restarted and added back HBO Max with no joy. Chat support was not helpful at all.

0 Kudos
KarinAustin
Level 7

Re: HBO Max keeps freezing - can't watch anything

Jump to solution

Tried that too. Snagged the first program listed on the HBO Max portal, then it asked my to subscribe with ROKU (no) then the drop down box would only allow the first option (from a Tennessee company) when I use Spectrum. HBO Max would delete on its own and return the the channel home page.

0 Kudos
maxproandu
Level 9

HBO Max freezes when app opens home screen, only to close and return back to Roku home page

Jump to solution

First news on a 7000X. Added to list!

0 Kudos