Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Smooch
Streaming Star

SiriusXM shuts off after 20 minutes

Jump to solution

I have been listening to SiriusXM via Roku since I got Roku (before that, on DISH).

On Tuesday (or overnight Monday) it was updated on Roku to match the app I use for my online listening. I had to re-sign into my account, but my favorites etc were intact. Ever since then, SXM will play for only 20 minutes and then shut down, sending me back to Roku Home menu. I timed it. 20 minutes.

I went over this with Roku yesterday: they say it's not Roku. I spent an hour with SXM CSR just now; they say it's not them. SXM is fine in car and on laptop. It is only since this Roku interface upgrade.

There used to be an option somewhere to set an inactivity limit ... I forget if that was Roku or SXM and I cannot find it anywhere. All parties are denying it's them. Help! PS the Roku rep I talked to this a.m. said he found 3 other customer complaints about this, but there was no followup.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: SiriusXM shuts off after 20 minutes

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience while we worked with the channel partner to investigate the issue.

We believe the issue of channel playback stopping after 20 minutes should now be resolved. We would recommend checking for a channel update by selecting the channel on the Roku Home screen and pressing the * button and selecting Check for updates.

Once the channel is updated, try seeing if the issue is still occurring. Please keep us posted what you find out.

If you are still experiencing an issue with channel playback after 20 minutes, please feel free to post the requested information in this thread.

We will be closing this thread out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

699 REPLIES 699
rabidbaby
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Please let us know if you find a solution! Mine is also shutting off very quickly ever since the update. It's  super annoying. I use my Siriusx XM channel as background noise when I'm working, and I also leave it on a "talk" station for my anxious cats when I'm out of the house -- she's a lot calmer/less destructive with NPR playing. Unfortunately, my local NPR station doesn't come in on the radio in my house, so Sirius XM is my only option. I *really* want this fixed, but I'm not finding any useful info either.

Smooch
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

(I had a similar problem starting in mid-March: the HBOMax/Roku interface update totally wacked my captions settings on HBOMax. Only HBOMax! it took days, multiple emails, multiple CSRs, and ALL CAPS coming from me until finally someone from HBO advanced tech support said Oh, um, yeah, this is a known problem since the update ... and gave me a workaround) Eventually someone will pay attention. I am tired of screaming, at the moment.)

rabidbaby
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I just sent a message to Sirius XM via FB. They got back to me right away requesting more info, but it's clear that they didn't read my message thoroughly because they asked for an error code. Nope...no error code. The app just exits. How on earth can they expect to fix things if they won't even list to the problem? Grrrrr.

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @Smooch @rabidbaby

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Please be aware that in Roku OS 10.5, we added a new Power item in Settings > System menu for some Roku models. If you have this Power item, under Auto power savings, see if deactivating after 20 minutes of no interaction fixes the problem.

Keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
Smooch
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Hello, thanks for responding. I use Roku Express and there is no such option in my system settings. I actually did check before I contacted CS.

Smooch
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@rabidbaby wrote:

I just sent a message to Sirius XM via FB. They got back to me right away requesting more info, but it's clear that they didn't read my message thoroughly because they asked for an error code. Nope...no error code. The app just exits. How on earth can they expect to fix things if they won't even list to the problem? Grrrrr.

That's the first response/triage in any CSR chess game, not just Roku. They might have only 5 clock seconds to scan any problem message, and just pick up key words to respond to, with a check list of "did you do this, do that, etc." This is a conclusion I have made a working hypothesis after years of trying to get answers. Knowing that they are on a quota system, have a limited time to address any given problem, and are probably juggling multiple customers keeps me calm. Well, calmer than otherwise because when someone asks "Have you tried ..." when that is actually the first item in the clearly written list of things I have tried .... Yeah. They don't really read it, not the first one. This is my opinion and I don't think it's unfair.

dstoppa
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

So there is no solution? I have been reading all the complaints, mine is the same 😡 No problem with my old Roku but since my upgrade my XM stops! 

Smooch
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I believe that at this point, Roku is not ready to acknowledge there is an actual specific issue, which non-techie I believe is linked to the recent interface upgrade

dstoppa
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply, Smootch. Real pain in the A**