Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhl17
Level 7

Should I keep my Comcast as my cable TV provider?

I live in Merrimack,NH and currently have Comcast.

1. If I keep Comcast, can I put favorite Comcast channels on my home page?

2. If I don't keep Comcast, can I receive channel 9, WMUR which is local?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Should I keep my Comcast as my cable TV provider?

Can't really answer your first question as I don't use any cable providers.  I simply use the Roku for streaming and then use an antenna connected to my TVs to access local channels. (free method).  If you wish to stream your local channels, then you can look into Locast Channel ($5/mo), or can look into the popular cable-alternative Channels that operate on the Roku like Hulu.  Here is Roku blog describing some, not all of the available cable-alternatives  Not updated regarding the current unavailability of YoutubeTV.  https://www.roku.com/blog/cable-alternatives

Here are some links regarding the Xfinity Stream Beta App discussing Comcast on Roku.  Perhaps someone from the Community that uses Comcast/Xfinity Stream can offer you more detailed help as to how it actually operates on the Roku.  I completely ditched satellite when switched to Roku streaming, others use the cable-alternatives, others use the Roku device in conjunction with their cable company programming.

http://www.watchingthewasteland.com/2019/12/08/can-i-get-xfinity-on-my-roku/

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/activate-xfinity-tv-app-on-roku

Good luck.  Others should be able to provide even more alternatives than what I mentioned above.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660x, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Channel Questions - Roku Express

@jhl17 wrote:

I live in Merrimack,NH and currently have Comcast.

1. If I keep Comcast, can I put favorite Comcast channels on my home page?

Assuming you mean your Roku home page, the answer is maybe.  It depends what your favorite channels are.  Many cable-type channels have provided Roku with streaming apps you can install to your Roku.  Most of them will only work when you are paying for them already through a cable subscription, like Comcast.  You'd use your Comcast login credentials to log into the various channel apps on Roku.

@jhl17 wrote:

2. If I don't keep Comcast, can I receive channel 9, WMUR which is local?

No, not directly on Roku.  If you live where you can pick it up with an antenna you can feed this directly into your TV's antenna input. 

Another option for many cities (including Boston) is Locast.  You can install the Locast app on Roku, and if you are in the marketing area of one of these cities, you can get your local stations that way.  The service is non-profit and is technically "free" but they'll break in every 15 minutes asking for a donation.  A monthly donation of $5 minimum makes those breaks go away.  Note that there are business concerns being hurt by this and Locast's legality has not yet been tested in the courts, so it is possible that this service may go away someday.

You can get a paid service that will run on Roku that includes access to local channels along with an array of "cable" stations.  Ones that carry WMUR, from the info I've been able to locate, include Hulu with Live TV, AT&T TV, and YouTube TV*.  

* Roku and YouTube TV are currently negotiating carriage terms and you cannot install the YouTube TV app on Roku at the moment.  Recently added, you CAN now access a YouTubeTV subscription through the regular YouTube app, which you CAN install on Roku.]

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Do not ask me support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600
0 Kudos