Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SkipB
Level 7

Roku freezes on commercials (Discovery Network)

After update my Roku Stick freezes on commercials on the Discovery Network Channels
(Discovery, Science, Travel)

the commercial starts loading then freezes at 33% load.

I don’t have the problem with my Amazon Fire TV

6 REPLIES 6\
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku freezes on commercials (Discovery Network)

Hey @SkipB

Thanks for reaching out!

Have you tried checking other apps aside from Discovery Network channels if the same issue will occur? 

If you haven't tried yet, you can remove the affected channel then re-install it. To ensure the process is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings System System restart > Restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
ginastar
Level 7

this isnt for posting support/ tech questions, right?

anyway, in my experience Discovery+ is the worst app I’ve dealt with… ever. It crashes, it freezes, it doesn’t sync up audio/video - its commercials for days. 

Lburris
Level 7

I have the same issue on TLC Go app, the problem basically makes the app unusable since I can never get past the first commercial break. 

RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi there @Lburris,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We recommend starting here to troubleshoot channel issues: Follow these steps in order:
1. Navigate to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, press the * key on your remote, and choose 'Remove channel'.
2. Next, restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. (For Roku TV Settings>System>Power>System restart)
3. Once your player/TV starts up again, go to 'Streaming Channels' on the Home screen, and add the channel back once more.
You may also refer to this link: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support
If that still doesn't clear up the issue you're experiencing, we recommend contacting the channel provider directly to follow up for more help. They’ll be able to best assist with any issues that are occurring within their channel. 

Keep us posted with what you find out.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Lburris
Level 7

@RokuMary-F wrote:

Hi there @Lburris,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We recommend starting here to troubleshoot channel issues: Follow these steps in order:
1. Navigate to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, press the * key on your remote, and choose 'Remove channel'.
2. Next, restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. (For Roku TV Settings>System>Power>System restart)
3. Once your player/TV starts up again, go to 'Streaming Channels' on the Home screen, and add the channel back once more.
You may also refer to this link: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support
If that still doesn't clear up the issue you're experiencing, we recommend contacting the channel provider directly to follow up for more help. They’ll be able to best assist with any issues that are occurring within their channel. 

Keep us posted with what you find out.

Best regards,
Mary

Removing the channel and restarting makes no difference. It is only a problem with Roku, watching things online on my laptop or using the Android app works fine. I have multiple Roku devices and it does the same thing on every one of them. 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi @Lburris,

Thanks for the follow-up.

If this issue is not resolved, please let us know along with any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team in further investigating this problem.

Can you please provide us with the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
With more information, we will be able to assist you further.
Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos