Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbuswell
Level 7

Re: Locast loses ... closed down

Jump to solution

The timing of closing Locast down was probably based on the last legal gasp after the ruling, not Labor Day.  I have to say that if it wasn't for the incredibly annoying beg-a-thon commercials every fifteen minutes or so, I probably wouldn't have "donated".  It worked but it killed their company.

They netted $2.4M or about a 50% profit.  They probably didn't have particularly good lawyers who specialize in non-profits.  That clearly was a lot more net income for a non-profit than is normal.  If they wanted to stay in business, they should have made the "donation" monthly only and stopped charging credit cards when they started to exceed their expenses by a lot.  And they couldn't use the commercials.

0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 13

Jump to solution

So true.  Still, the little guy is caught up right in the middle.  I tried Locast once or twice.  The second time was during the first part of the Pandemic when they claimed some sort of moratorium on the frequently popping up requested "donations."   I didn't see much improvement on their claims, so I kept my little antenna and it works just fine-without all that drama!  No Locast?  Don't miss it at all over here in my residence!  I prefer basic Youtube myself.

0 Kudos
rbuswell
Level 7

Jump to solution

I'm hopeful that my new antenna will be enough to provide good reception while having a lot of challenges by living a distance from the towers in more mountainous terrain.

I really liked Locast because it worked seamlessly with Roku.  It was worth much more than the $60 "donation" per year.  Frankly the Locast leadership made some dumb decisions re: the non-profit angle. Locast should have found a way to raise funds without making the decision so easy for the judge to kill their organization. They should have known the annoying ads every fifteen minutes were going to be perceived as a fee-for-service slight of hand by the users (and the court). But it was such a good service that people would gladly pay.  It was the proverbial gun to the head gambit.

I am very unhappy with the behavior of Big Tech re: censorship.  I barely ever look at YouTube now and have deleted my entire proactive footprint in social media.  I still have accounts but only to keep tabs on folks I want to keep in touch with.  That is my personal decision.  Many other people don't have a problem with Big Tech.  I am one who believes that everyone should have the right to make their own decisions and I have zero problem with yours.

0 Kudos
SMN
Level 7

Stop stressing over Locast

Jump to solution

Most tv stations live stream,  if you have an iphone, you can purchase an Apple Lightning digital av adapter, to connect your iphone or ipad to your tv.  Not sure what one would use for droid

0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 13

Create Your Own Personal Locast

Jump to solution

With the death of Locast and it's promise of streaming OTA channels for a strong arm "donation," it's time to explore some alternatives.  I use OTA antennas as much as possible.  

Antennas are very finicky at it's positioning, no matter where you reside.  So I'm adding one of these additional devices to my streaming device collection.  After all, my own goal is to avoid paying monthly subscription costs as much as possible AFTER I purchase the device.  My Bedroom TV has the worst reception, yet some feet away the Living Room one has the best ever.  Streaming as described in this article will solve this  problem without bothering any friend.

After all, isn't the goal of Streaming is-Independence?

Just In Case Link Above Doesn't Work-From:
https://www.techhive.com/article/3632881/how-to-create-your-own-personal-locast.html

Iona-D
Level 13

The Now Permanent Demise Of Locast

Jump to solution

Sorry Charlie.  The termination of Locast is now-forever.  Unless the service changes it's  spots in various ways that has to be far more underhanded and subtle skimming the legal boundaries.  Although I personally think that this won't be very likely.

See it for yourselves.  Don't weep, just always have alternatives which you yourself control, not some distant service 

The article itself:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/16/22678462/locast-streaming-service-barred-abc-cbs-fox-nbc

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: The Now Permanent Demise Of Locast

Jump to solution

@Iona-D 

I'm all for any service that offers local channel content, provided it's within the law.

Locast never impacted me, as I wasn't in one of their service areas, and I feel for those that lost the service. But if the service isn't legal, then it just wasn't to be.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Siciliano57
Level 9

Jump to solution

I had Locast but really didn’t think about how they were streaming the local channels.  I felt my donation was a payment for the service and that’s all I cared about.

I had SlingTV for 2 years and had to purchase the AirTV box and antenna to watch local channels.  Constant buffering pixelating and contacting Sling’s and AirTV’s tech support.  Upgraded my internet to 1GB and added a mesh router with beacons throughout the house.  Still had issues with local channels.  Purchased several upgraded antennas and signal boosters which did not help much. We live near an airport with airplanes flying directly over our house, so antenna use is spotty at best.

Locast was a blessing for us for local channels with no buffering or pixelating.  When SlingTV raised our monthly charge while losing some key channels, we switched to YouTubeTV.  Even with YouTubeTV streaming service and internet, we are still saving $100/mo compared to cable which was going to charge us almost $80/mo just for local channels.

We’re happy with our Roku devices (only 7 of them) our streaming service setup.

MilesT
Level 11

Jump to solution

Good antenna contractors are hard to find, and installs such as you describe can be a bit of a black art and trial and error for OTA.

Fortunately in the UK it is generally a lot simpler and cheaper, very structured transmitter approach to minimise everyone's rooftop hardware (to a narrow slice of UHF for each area or free to air satellite with minidish with 1 x LNB for each TV set..some clever PVR boxes need up to 6 LNB for simultaneously recording multiple services). 

It is also a lot cheaper (even allowing for annual TV license for OTA signals). Sport is the significant expense.

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Siciliano57 

Likely, the issue with your Air TV device isn't the network, but the antenna. I maintain the streaming for a couple of houses in the same area, less than two miles apart. The house closer to the TV towers does not get a good signal, but the house that's a slightly greater distance does. It's the terrain, to include elevation and trees that makes the difference.

I would expect the issue with Air TV OTA reception is either a too small antenna, or environmental (terrain, etc).

It's unfortunate that the only options to pick up local channels via streaming, when antenna isn't practical, is so expensive.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee.