Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KordKutter
Binge Watcher

Re: Where's Peacock?

Jump to solution

@andyross wrote:

The 3700 was released in October 2016. The 3900's are from 2017. According to a chart on Wikipedia, the 3700's use some weird MStar CPU. The 3900's are using common ARM Cortex CPU's.

As noted, since Peacock is new, they are probably using an API (Application Programming Interface) designed for newer models.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku

That might explain why the new app doesn't support older Roku models. But it also says NBC didn't care enough to do the research to determine what percentage of Roku users were using older models. They likely could have made it work if they really wanted to. 

lesmikesell
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@KordKutter wrote:

@andyross wrote:

The 3700 was released in October 2016. The 3900's are from 2017. According to a chart on Wikipedia, the 3700's use some weird MStar CPU. The 3900's are using common ARM Cortex CPU's.

As noted, since Peacock is new, they are probably using an API (Application Programming Interface) designed for newer models.

That might explain why the new app doesn't support older Roku models. But it also says NBC didn't care enough to do the research to determine what percentage of Roku users were using older models. They likely could have made it work if they really wanted to. 

Or Roku could have provided a consistent development environment instead of making things difficult - something that shows even in their own hastily replaced and broken media player and lack of VLC and Kodi apps.

saboken
Binge Watcher

Peacock channel not installing on premier+?

Jump to solution

I have premier + and it's supposed to be compatible with the new peacock channel!? I was able to install it on my roku ultra but it doesn't even show up in a search for it in the channels on the premier plus??? Whats going on?

0 Kudos
KordKutter
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@lesmikesell wrote:

@KordKutter wrote:

@andyross wrote:

Or Roku could have provided a consistent development environment instead of making things difficult - something that shows even in their own hastily replaced and broken media player and lack of VLC and Kodi apps.

So Roku devices are cheap and disposable, where you will need a new one every couple of years as each model reaches end-of-life for development support.

I wonder how Apple TV compares to Roku in this regard? I've never had one. They are much more expensive, but how long are they supported for?

Macku
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Some on here may be interested to know Google will be bringing out their own media stick/dongle (not Chromecast) with remote and U.I., at the end of this month, price range supposedly around $50, so that's the option I'm looking at instead of buying a new Roku to replace my now useless Express. At least it will have better access to more apps.

PeacockTV was not the first app I had trouble with using my express, Prime wouldn't work on it either. I suppose it's all part of the programmed obsolescence we have come to accept in this world as we are told it's a sign of progress. I think all the manufacturers of these devices should have to take them back from the customer and dispose of them environmentally when they become obsolete, free of charge of course.

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Peacock channel not installing on premier+?

Jump to solution

What model NUMBER Premier+ ?  Check via Settings > System > About.

The NBC Peacock app for Roku was written by NBC to be compatible with the following Roku models:
(Current as of September 22, 2020. Check the source listed below for updates.)

Roku 2 (4210X model only)
Roku 3 & 4 (model 4200X or later)
Roku Streaming Stick (model 3600X or later)
Roku Express/Express+ (model 3900X or later)
Roku Premiere/Premiere+ (model 3920X or later)
Roku Ultra/Ultra LT (model 4640X or later)
Roku TV and Smart Soundbar (model 5000X or later)

Source: https://www.peacocktv.com/help/article/what-devices-and-platforms-are-supported-by-peacock

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
saboken
Binge Watcher

Re: Peacock channel not installing on premier+?

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
loisj

Re: You can now add Peacock to Roku

Jump to solution

Did this.  Nothing yet.   How long does it take after adding the channel via the website above, for PEACOCK to appear in my ROKU channel list?

0 Kudos
KordKutter
Binge Watcher

Re: You can now add Peacock to Roku

Jump to solution

@loisj wrote:

Did this.  Nothing yet.   How long does it take after adding the channel via the website above, for PEACOCK to appear in my ROKU channel list?

You will need to add the streaming channel to your Roku from the Roku device.

0 Kudos
jaegerjs

Re: Why won’t the new Peacock App download to my Roku Express

Jump to solution

I have an older Roku, and it doesn't show up there. 

0 Kudos