Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Riya
Channel Surfer

How to fix error message 'Not enough space. Please delete some apps and try again'

Jump to solution

When trying to open up an app like Youtube, I keep receiving a message that states, "Not enough space. Please delete some apps and try again." We've been using Roku devices for a few years and never had any problems until now. I've read on here that this is happening due to the last update. If that is the case, fix this please! 

As it stands, if I delete anymore apps, I will be deleting the youtube app because that's pretty much all that's left.  Where I live we don't have the luxury of being able to have a local cable company provide us with service. We either do satellite, or we use internet to watch tv, so Roku is our easiest means of watching television.  Right now, we are paying for services that we cannot even watch because the new patch has messed up all of our Roku devices. Before you ask, yes they are all newer models.

15 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Noahx

Re: Roku Not Enough Space

Jump to solution

I solved it : this is what worked for me

Follow these steps:

Press Home Button 5x

Press Up arrow 1x

Press rewind button 2x

Press fast forward button 2x 

From there your tv should turn off by itself then pop back on then you should be good to go.

View solution in original post

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: How to fix error message 'Not enough space. Please delete some apps and try again'

Jump to solution

@gofys @grannym1 

Try this list, especially the highlighted items (#3 and #4)

Known solutions/workarounds for apps not loading/closing to Home:

1) Check for updates: Settings/System/System update/Check now - try again

2) Restart Roku: Settings/System/System restart/Restart - try again

3) Change your Theme to the Roku Default: Settings/Theme/Restore default theme - try again

4) Change your Screensaver to a Roku clock: Settings/Theme/Screensavers - try again

5) Remove SD card (if installed) - try again

6) Remove app, RESTART ROKU: Settings/System/System restart/Restart, Add app - try again **

7) Network connection reset: Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Network connection reset - try again

😎 Completely unplug power from Roku for 10-15 minutes - try again

9) Factory reset: Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Factory reset <--- last resort

** NOTE for #6: Do not remove the YouTube TV app - you will not get the app back until the end of the dispute

rhampton0010
Channel Surfer

Re: How to fix error message 'Not enough space. Please delete some apps and try again'

Jump to solution

So far, the solution for me, was to delete YouTube.

0 Kudos
Ecgraups
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

SOLUTION: I found a sequence of button presses that fixed the problem. In quick succession, press the following sequence: home button five times, then up button once, then rewind button twice, then fast forward twice. If done correctly the Roku will freeze up for a second or two, then it will go to a title screen once or twice, and then back to the main channel menu. Once back in main channel menu you will then be able to return to the channel and it will load. Apparently the button sequence above clears the cache- but not the passwords and such, so you will be able to go right back in to the channel as always. 

Tags (1)
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

We would recommend trying to remove unused channels from your Roku device, then removing the Youtube channel, restarting your Roku device, then adding the channel back again to see if the issue is resolved.

In addition, what screensaver are you currently using, users have stated that changing their screensaver helped resolve their issue.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Performing that reset fixed my "not enough space, must remove channels" problem.

0 Kudos
Broncograd03
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Did this and it worked. 

If the issue persists, follow the steps below from your Roku device to perform a factory reset.
  1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Advanced system settings
  5. Select Factory reset
  6. If you have a Roku TV, select Factory reset everything. Otherwise, move to the next step
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Why does my Roku device say not enough space?

Jump to solution

@K8W 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

It looks like the issue that you are experiencing may be related to space issues on your device. Freeing up space on your device may resolve the issue that you are seeing. You can do this by:
1) Remove any unused channels from your device.
2) Factory reset your device.
3) Link your device back to your account.
4) Add the channels that you are trying to use.

Please keep us posted!

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Can't Run Channel Error

Jump to solution

@th3brick24 

Thanks for the note.

If performing a factory reset on your device still isn't resolving your issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

0 Kudos
gehrigbjr

Jump to solution

Brilliant! Clearing the cache worked for me immediately. I refused to do the factory reset and lose all my settings. I was so confused. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Rnabz

Re: Not enough space

Jump to solution

I tried all the things. Even clearing the cache. What worked (for now anyway!) is deleting all my extra wallpapers. Hulu is now loading and working which it refuses to do for the last 2 weeks. 

Jump to solution

I had luck removing channels, adding them again, and restarting the device.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution
"Senya" wrote:
Model: 3900x-Roku Express
Software version,  9.00.build 4116-51

There were some issues with the Roku Express model 3900 running 9.0 but an earlier build. It had been reported as resolved and users reporting issues concurred. Your steps to this point have all been in line with the recommended fixes to get the update with the fix. And it looks like you have the latest build.

You’ve restarted/rebooted the device. An actual shutdown — removing power/pulling the plug — for a couple of minutes might help, but I’m doubtful. Still, try it.

Failing that, a full Factory Reset might be in order. And there’s no guarantee that would work, as you should already have the latest build for that device.

Tanner, the Roku moderator, should be online soon. The company is PT. Last mod was CT, but we don’t yet know what time zone Tanner is. He may be able to offer more.

I wish I could offer more at the moment. If you can th8nk of anything else that might be useful, perhaps that might trigger something with me or other users here on the board.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: How to fix not enough space

Jump to solution

Hi there, 

Apologies for the delayed response. 

Please try visiting Settings>System>System update>Check now and see if any updates are available. 

If this doesn't help resolve the issue, you'll want to try performing a factory reset on the device. This will clear all data and channels/logins, and allow you to set the unit up again fresh. You can see the steps for how to do this here: 

https://support.roku.com/article/208757008

Please let us know if you run into the issue again after giving this a try. 

Thanks,
Tanner

0 Kudos
dannyx5321

Re: THE FIX for "Not enough space after last update"

Jump to solution

This happened to me when Roku decided I need an update. After the update all my old channels were gone and had to go through setup again. 

The problem started right with the first channel added to the blank list telling me I don't have enough space and to remove unused channels or insert SD memory. Surely I should have enough space to run ONE channel. 

I figured it was the update that screwed up something but all the usual fixes didn't work (clear cache, factory reset).

After scouring through the forum posts I found one that proposed a fix that nobody has tried before so I have it a shot and it worked!

Apparently, if you have multiple Roku devices like I do and most people, the Roku update somehow counts your channels on the other devices and concludes you have too many. This happens because usually all devices are under the same email account.

The solution? Do a factory reset on the problem device by manually pushing the rest button with a paper clip and register Roku on a different email, thus creating a new account. Voila, the solution that none of the Roku tech support people seem to know.

Enjoy streaming again! 🙂

Note: if you problem factory reset from the Roku menu it may not properly reset and you won't get the chance to register with a different email. Pushing the reset button with a paperclip worked for me!

0 Kudos
255 REPLIES 255
Senya
Visitor

Not enough space

Jump to solution
I have a Roku express. When I try to access the channel it tells me not enough space please remove one or more of your installed channels and try again to remove channels focus the channel selector star and then select remove and then OK I do this and it still doesn’t work. I am well connected to the Wi-Fi and I have restarted the Roku twice I still can’t get it to work. It did work for a time but now it doesn’t work
DBDukes

Jump to solution
"Senya" wrote:
Model: 3900x-Roku Express
Software version,  9.00.build 4116-51

There were some issues with the Roku Express model 3900 running 9.0 but an earlier build. It had been reported as resolved and users reporting issues concurred. Your steps to this point have all been in line with the recommended fixes to get the update with the fix. And it looks like you have the latest build.

You’ve restarted/rebooted the device. An actual shutdown — removing power/pulling the plug — for a couple of minutes might help, but I’m doubtful. Still, try it.

Failing that, a full Factory Reset might be in order. And there’s no guarantee that would work, as you should already have the latest build for that device.

Tanner, the Roku moderator, should be online soon. The company is PT. Last mod was CT, but we don’t yet know what time zone Tanner is. He may be able to offer more.

I wish I could offer more at the moment. If you can th8nk of anything else that might be useful, perhaps that might trigger something with me or other users here on the board.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Senya
Visitor

Jump to solution
Thank you very much.
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: How to fix not enough space

Jump to solution

Hi there, 

Apologies for the delayed response. 

Please try visiting Settings>System>System update>Check now and see if any updates are available. 

If this doesn't help resolve the issue, you'll want to try performing a factory reset on the device. This will clear all data and channels/logins, and allow you to set the unit up again fresh. You can see the steps for how to do this here: 

https://support.roku.com/article/208757008

Please let us know if you run into the issue again after giving this a try. 

Thanks,
Tanner

0 Kudos
Saul
Visitor

Jump to solution
I got the same error when trying to add a channel.  Same model and software version.  Did the reset to factory and everything loaded.
0 Kudos
redtommy76
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
My Ultra does this and I have an SD card that is nearly 100% empty.  I usually reboot to correct the issue.  Reset and new SD did not correct the issue
0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution
"redtommy76" wrote:
My Ultra does this and I have an SD card that is nearly 100% empty.  I usually reboot to correct the issue.  Reset and new SD did not correct the issue

When you check via the system menu, does it show an SD card installed? How much space is used? It should indicate percentage, and that would likely be in relation to a 2 GB card, the largest Roku uses.

That message? Is it not letting you install stuff? Or is the prompt that comes when you launch an app, and it recommends you install a card. Because that's the message that Ultra usually gets if it doesn't have (or isn't compatible with) a microSD card. The message this post is about is the one where you can't even add an app, and had previously only been affecting Express models.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
redtommy76
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
"DBDukes" wrote:
"redtommy76" wrote:

When you check via the system menu, does it show an SD card installed? How much space is used? It should indicate percentage, and that would likely be in relation to a 2 GB card, the largest Roku uses.

That message? Is it not letting you install stuff? Or is the prompt that comes when you launch an app, and it recommends you install a card. Because that's the message that Ultra usually gets if it doesn't have (or isn't compatible with) a microSD card. The message this post is about is the one where you can't even add an app, and had previously only been affecting Express models.

System shows the SD card only 9% used.  I get the error randomly when trying to launch or install apps. 
0 Kudos
redtommy76
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
"DBDukes" wrote:
"redtommy76" wrote:

FYI. Roku recommended minimum for SD cards is 2GB not maximum.
  https://support.roku.com/article/208756 ... o-sd-card-
0 Kudos