Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
debsmith5065
Level 10

Re: HBO MAX question

I don't have any of my subscriptions through Roku directly - I go through the provider, but is it possible that your account is still active because you have not reached the end of your billing month?

Since most services don't give pro-rated refunds, they give you access until their end of your billing cycle, which might explain why your account is still active.

jboffer
Level 7

Why is Roku gatekeeping apps we paid to access?

The HBO Max app is developed, but Roku won't take it because they haven't yet been offered enough money from AT&T. Roku, you are not a cable service we subscribe to. We can't cancel if we're unhappy. We purchased a piece of hardware to access streaming apps, and you are preventing the streaming apps from accessing us. It's not acceptable, and the success has gone to your heads. Figure it out. 

0 Kudos
DisastifiedAL
Level 10

oh yeah, that's a good point Deb

0 Kudos
DisastifiedAL
Level 10

I'm done, just cancelled HBO Max. I thought Cinemax content was included, Cinemax + HBO= HBO MAX, But NOOOO, It's HBO for the Non-Focused younger adults(kardashians, reality, boo, ) & kids. should have known these greedy companies will never offer more for same price, This is just different genre with lower quality programming for same price as the original premium HBO charged and that was worth it. HBO will end up eating it's own tail with this move. Great for under 35 adults in far west or NY, but completely different culture than Midwest or South. I'd prefer entertainment industry move to Kansas and make shows that are clean and pure entertainment again without the fluff and celebrity worship.
Ciao

jami61
Level 8

yes, however, if youhave a ROKU TV, and try to download HBO Max from Hulu or YouTube, you are still out of luck. This is another situation with the streaming world that is just so dang arbitrary. If some can do it, all need to do it.

I am thoroughly frustrated.

0 Kudos
Bristol
Level 10

As a "California Folk".   I take issue with your statement.     No one is forcing you to subscribe.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why is Roku gatekeeping apps we paid to access?

There's already at least two other threads about HBO Max, so it doesn't really help making another. HBO/Warner is still negotiating with both Roku and Amazon for adding the new service to their streaming players. Some stories say Roku and Amazon are the ones playing hardball, while others say it's HBO. We don't know for sure. But until they reach agreement with HBO, Max won't be available on Roku devices. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
BreakUpMonopoly
Level 8

Lay off the steroids LOL calm down Brock.

0 Kudos
VFLHLZDGR
Level 8

So safe to say they took the weekend off from negotiating? 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

"FYI:
https://www.cnet.com/news/warnermedia-has-hbo-max-apps-ready-for-amazon-and-roku

Which raises the question of why HBO does't just make it available as a hidden, secret Roku channel? It might not be as easy to find, it might not have Roku support, but they could still have their viewers, subscribers from outside Roku, and avoid the outrage from the people that have been ripped off. 

0 Kudos