Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lesl
Level 7

Dune won’t play on HBO direct through Roku and isn’t listed in the Xfinity beta app

Jump to solution

The beta Xfinity app doesn’t list Dune as an available movie but it’s works fine with n the Xfinity box.  The Roku HBO option shows if as available but it won’t play.

No messages about upgrading and the system is up to date.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Dune won’t play on HBO direct through Roku and isn’t listed in the Xfinity beta app

Jump to solution

@Lesl

Thanks for the follow up.

For more information about that channel's content and functionality, you'll want to contact HBO support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach HBO support here: https://www.hbo.com/about/contact-us

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15\
BobW55
Level 8

Re: Dune won’t play on HBO direct through Roku and isn’t listed in the Xfinity beta app

Jump to solution

You can only watch NEW RELEASES on the HBO MAX app.

For instance, if you pay for HBO MAX on YouTube tv  or HULU, you have to get the HBO MAX app and sign in with your YouTube tv  or HULU account info.

I hope that helps. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Lesl
Level 7

Jump to solution

I subscribe to HBO through Xfinity and Roku recognizes that subscription in the HBO app.  I ha e watched new releases before using the Roku HBO app so this seems specific to Dune.

The Roku Xfinity beta app doesn’t seem to recognize the Dune release at all ( it isn’t listed ) while the Roku HBO app show Dune as available but won’t play it.  In fact it won’t play most of the trailers either.

The only way for me to watch Dune was to use a different tv that had an actual Xfinity cable box.

Puzzling

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Lesl

Thanks for the follow up.

For more information about that channel's content and functionality, you'll want to contact HBO support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach HBO support here: https://www.hbo.com/about/contact-us

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
monnie67
Level 7

Jump to solution

@danny, the problem is with Roku/HBOMAX app integration. Luckily,  I gave non-Roku access.  REALLY disappointed in your service. 

Issue applies to the James Gandolfini prequel movie.

I have tested this on many devices.

HBOMAX app on ROKU=No response..play button does nothing. I think takes you back to self homepage.

HBOMAX app on Samsung smartv.  Watched yesterday. No problems.

Accessed HBOMAX app on cell.   No problem. 

Roku/HBOMAX  issue.

0 Kudos
monnie67
Level 7

Jump to solution

Regardless of my status being newbie, I know how to test. Web stuff is my job, troubleshooting as needed. Roku/HBOMAX integration is the issue.

0 Kudos
monnie67
Level 7

Jump to solution

And just tried accessing Dune and Many Saints. The app on your Roku device = no response.  How is it I can view on other devices and not Roku?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Roku didn't create the Xfinity app, HBO MAX app, or most others.  They're just the platform.  There's no such thing as "Roku/HBOMAX app integration".  If something doesn't work within a channel/app the way you expect it to your first call should always be to the developer/provider which is almost always not Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@monnie67

Thanks for the posts.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
monnie67
Level 7

Jump to solution

Awesome. Thank you! This totally worked. You're the best!!!! 😀

0 Kudos