Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jironglin
Level 10

Re: spectrum app not working

Jump to solution

Scan 2 copy.jpg

This is the paper in the Roku box. I didn't not remove my spectrum app. It was removed automatically.

nocable
Level 12

Jump to solution

I have my Chromebook attached to my TV by an HDMI cable. I use a wireless keyboard and mouse to operate the Chromebook.

2018 Ultra 4660
0 Kudos
nocable
Level 12

Re: Did Roku really get rid of the Spectrum app?

Jump to solution

I'd assume there's a general provision in the Roku use fine print that states that channels are provided by contract and that Roku assumes no liability if those those contracts are not renewed. It also states that Roku, can break a contract, and remove a channel if they deem the channel is expressing what they determine to classify as "Hate Speech." I guess someday Roku might decide that the Christian Bible is Hate Speech and remove all Christian Channels. See, how anything is possible in the times we live in.

2018 Ultra 4660
0 Kudos
jironglin
Level 10

Jump to solution

roku_app_store.jpg

Roku owns Roku app store.

0 Kudos
nocable
Level 12

Jump to solution

I think it has been an error for Roku to one way or another to remove Spectrum Roku channels that were active on Roku devices. I suspect that something in their behind the scenes programming was not coded correctly, and valid Spectrum channels were removed in error. In the middle of this contract dispute, I don't think Roku would want to tackle or rectify that problem. But, I wish they would. Roku needs to write better programs to deal with channels being available that have not been deleted form the account, when it comes to contract disputes such at this with Spectrum.

2018 Ultra 4660
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Roku does not create the channel programming for 3rd party providers. They provide the platform, and other parties create the channels for their own content. If something was programmed incorrectly, that is the fault of Spectrum, as it's their channel. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
nocable
Level 12

Jump to solution

I know what you're saying about the programming for a channel being done by the channel provider. But the removal of channels from individual Roku devices is not normally done by the provider of the channel. So, I was referring to the program that ROKU was using to remove the Spectrum channel from people's devices.

For instance, if you have subscribed to a channel, but then cancel your subscription with the channel provider, that does not automatically removed the channel from your Roku device. The channel remains until you remove it. If you enter the channel, after you've cancelled your subscription, then the channel will ask you to authenticate a subscription.

2018 Ultra 4660
0 Kudos
atc98092

Re: Spectrum issues

Jump to solution

That would require the pop up code to be within the Spectrum app/channel. Roku did not create the channel and cannot alter its code. Only Spectrum could make that happen, and because of their current stalemate, Spectrum cannot push an updated channel out of the store. 

And like it or not, Roku is not the provider here, so would have no responsibility to post such an update. That would be the provider's responsibility, and that's Spectrum. Of course, they have no reason to say anything, because this way it make Roku look like the bad guy. Maybe they are, I have no idea. But it would benefit Spectrum if you just rented a cable box from them, instead of using a free app on a streaming player. Using the channel on a Roku actually costs them money, because they have to create and maintain the channel. You'll notice that they don't have apps for many other devices. You can't go grab a Fire TV player because they don't have one either. No financial benefit for them to do so. Perhaps that's why they're willing to go through this with Roku. They're hoping you'll just come back and pay them to rent a box. 

Dan

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

There's likely no "program" that runs to remove channels from devices. What they probably do is have a script the scans their database and finding a channel registered to an account simply removes it from that account. Perhaps that's why they mistakenly removed the Spectrum channel from devices that already had it. Because it was removed from the channel store, the script removed it from user accounts as well. Then when the Roku does its daily update it refreshes itself from the database, and finding that channel removed from the DB removes it from the device. 

Since Roku was stating that existing users would still be able to use the channel, that would explain why they were removed anyway. Someone made a mistake about removing existing installations. It was likely human error, and it would be nice if Roku would admit it. But as to the channel no longer working with Spectrum, I don't believe that has anything to do with Roku. Perhaps it's a tin hat idea, but my guess is Spectrum disabled their access to their servers in an attempt to make their customers angry with Roku. 

Dan

Hovey
Level 7

Jump to solution

Total garbage. Noticed app was not letting me log on.  On spectrum website under trouble shooting. It says if having problems logging in.  Delete app.  Reboot tv. Then reinstall app.  Did all of that but now can’t install app.  Factory reset doesn’t work.  Roku and spectrum need to work this out. Paying for 2 products that don’t work. 

0 Kudos