Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkF
Binge Watcher

Can't log out of HBO Max to log into new HBO Max account

I am a subscriber to regular HBO, purchased and managed through Roku.  Today, I wanted to get going with HBO Max, but had all sort of issues, too many to recount.

So, since my current HBO subscription was ending in two days, 12/19/20, I thought I would just cancel that and then go on my computer to HBOMax and subscribe for six months (20% off deal) under a new account.  That's with a DIFFERENT email address than my HBO account. I did that.

Then I went back to Roku and installed again the HBO Max channel.  I expected it would ask me for my sign in credentials, but it did not.  After waiting all day for it do to this earlier, it apparently converted me to HBO Max and automatically used my log in from my old HBO account. 

So, I thought, okay, I'll just sign out and sign back in with my new HBO Max account. I did the sign out, and it came up with a message saying I can sign back in any time.  Cool. Except it never gives me the sign in screen. Ever. It always logs me back in automatically with my old HBO account credentials. 

I tried over and over signing out, uninstalling/reinstalling the channel, rebooting the Roku (both of my Rokus), but I cannot get it to give me a sign in screen.  And, it usually will not even offer to let me sign out. It's only occasionally even offers me the ability to sign out. Only comes up once in a while.

I even tried going to my HBO Max phone app and telling it to sign out all devices, and waiting the requisite 4 hours it says it may take. Nope, no luck. It still logs me back into my old HBO account automatically.

So, I am HOPING that on 12/20 after my original HBO subscription account expires, that HBO Max will finally let me log in with my new HBO Max account.  But I fear that it will get stuck on some message saying something like "your HBO subscription has expired, do you want to renew?"  Then if I say yes, I'll have two HBO Max acccounts, and if I say no, I'll have not any HBO Max I can watch on Roku.

ALL I WANT IS A SIGN IN SCREEN.

Any input on this?  I'm pulling my hair out.

34 REPLIES 34
mabe111

Re: Can't log out of HBO Max to log into new HBO Max account

I don't have a fix for you, but just wanted to let you know the same thing is happening to me. No option to sign in anywhere.

donrb
Binge Watcher

Very frustrated, as well.

HBO Max on my phone works fine - and thank goodness I can Airplay to Roku to watch HBO Max content today.

However, the Roku app refuses to allow me to authenticate via my AT&T login. Instead, it wants me to (re)subscribe for $15.99/mo for a service I *already* receive via AT&T.

What a poor experience by Roku. How can they not be aware of the troubles we are experiencing? They seem more interested in the shared subscription money play. Poor form for a platform very late to the HBO Max fray.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Log in at hbomax.com with your old credentials and go to your profile settings where you'll see all your devices that are signed in, with an option to sign out each of them. Then sign out with your browser and sign back in with your new credentials. When I added the app on three devices, first use gave me a code to enter which I used at activate.hbomax.com; then all three showed as logged in devices in my profile, along with the Android TV device that's been logged in since HBOmax first became available.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Roku Guru

Roku is going to tell you there is no problem. There is a problem.

What you have to do is go to the top menu, log out out your defunct Roku HBO account, and try to play a video while not logged in. The app will then allow you to create a new account, or use credentials from an existing account. Note that you cannot do this via Roku alone... you will need to logon via computer/phone as well.

Note: I had the same problem, and could not find an answer. A random web search gave it to me, but unfortunately even with a search of my history I cannot find the exact site with the answer.

donrb
Binge Watcher

This comes down to poor UX/UI design. A shame this passed QA.

The resolution:
* For those being automatically authed to an expired subscription like me, you must first select the circle profile icon in the top menu (icon on farthest right)
* Scroll all the way to the right option for "Sign out". Not at all obvious design

* Watch content, like The Flight Attendant

* You will be prompted to subscribe or sign in

* Select sign in and your preferred auth method (I chose hbomax.com/tvsignin)

Finally worked.

Does not require app removal, reboots, etc. Just poor app design and user experience. Easily solved for by ALWAYS providing the user choice to sign out / change profiles.

dfgsrzwer
Roku Guru

What I said, but with more detail. Actually, almost exactly what I said in another thread but was to lazy to say again here... 😉

And in that other thread, I was more critical of what Roku did than this poster was in his/her first sentence. In fact, I downright accused them of manipulating data to try to get you to subscribe via Roku instead of someone else.

donrb
Binge Watcher

Context is everything. I read your reply. It made me click the circle icon, and I kept trying the first option re: profile management (switch profile). Ended up going in circles.

Wasn't until a few minutes later I rage scrolled that I realized the most important option to solve this issue - sign out - was buried nearly 9 clicks away. 

Shlt app design. This coming from someone who does this for a living. 

And yet, everyone working on the project would NEVER understand this dead-end loop many of us are experiencing because replicating an expired subscription test scenario likely never crossed their minds.

Again, solvable by making auth features easily visible / accessible in any case. Not just "subscribe, subscribe, subscribe!" 

At least it's not Cyberpunk 2077? (Which I am enjoying, despite all the haters)

dfgsrzwer
Roku Guru

And yet clever. Roku wants you to subscribe through them, not someone else. If I didn't "need" to run HBOmax at the same time as playing games on my Xbox, I would be content to just use the Xbox app. Also, I can't put the entire blame on Roku...HBO designed the app interface, and knows it is screwed up. It was on HBO's own website that told me the answer of how to fix it. Roku is to blame by having a tech (Danny, and no, I do not feel guilty of throwing him under the bus since Roku did it first) in the other thread give wrong information on how to fix it.

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Why are you blaming Roku for the design of the HBO Max app?? Most all apps have 'Sign Out' options buried deep in odd places. Roku doesn't design apps, other than their own Roku channel.

0 Kudos