Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
evermore
Channel Surfer

What constitutes a "sound event" for detection recording?

Jump to solution

I've tried searching Roku and elsewhere and I can't find any explanation for what a "sound event" is that would trigger a recording. Is it ANY sound at all, or sounds over a certain volume level? Is this setting only intended to be used in locations that are expected to be silent most of the time?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: What constitutes a "sound event" for detection recording?

Jump to solution

Thanks for the added information, @evermore.

On the smart home app, kindly try to select Camera > Events > Funnel icon (upper right corner) > Smart Detection to filter out the sound you want your camera to detect. 

Kindly check our Support article to learn more about this: How to use smart detection for your Roku Smart Home camera or video doorbell

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @evermore!

We appreciate you reaching out for support, and we'd be happy to provide further information about the sound detection on your Roku Smart Home device.

Roku Smart Home cameras have the ability to detect both motion and sound accurately. In this case, you can filter out which specific sound you want your Roku Smart Home camera to detect if you have a subscription. This can be done on the Roku smart home app: Select the camera > Settings > Advance system settings. 

Learn more about this through our Support article here: How to use smart detection for your Roku Smart Home camera or video doorbell

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
evermore
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

There are no options for sounds. It's just Record sound, on or off. On the Event Recording page, the option Record sound events is just on or off. There are no configurations for sounds. That makes it seem like it's just going to record if it detects any sound above a particular threshold (which can be adjusted on the sensitivity options). It's been like this since the beginning and I'm still in the trial subscription period.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for the added information, @evermore.

On the smart home app, kindly try to select Camera > Events > Funnel icon (upper right corner) > Smart Detection to filter out the sound you want your camera to detect. 

Kindly check our Support article to learn more about this: How to use smart detection for your Roku Smart Home camera or video doorbell

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
evermore
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Okay, I think I understand. It's poorly designed in the interface, since sound events is separated from motion events. I didn't think the "smart detection" events also referred to sound events because it didn't make sense to record when there's the sound of a vehicle or animal but nothing showing on camera, and the idea of a "Package" sound didn't compute.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @evermore,

Thank you for the updates!

We will be more than happy to assist you further. Please make sure that your sound is turned on. You may double-check that one on the Roku smart home app in the live stream; the sound icon should be green for ON. If it is grey, that means it is OFF.

Let us know how it works, and we will continue to assist you further.

Best regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos