Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use roku door camera through Ultra lt (two way audio not working)

Jump to solution

So im setting up a roku doorbell and chime se. i got the app setup on MY phone and seems to be working perfectly fine.

next i setup the app on my fathers Roku ultra lt. the camera seems to come up just fine when the bell is rang, and audio is be received from the door bell TO the ultra lt, HOWEVER i am trying to figure out how to talk TO the person at my from door through the roku ultra lt without phone app. 

the reason for this is while I can use the app just fine, my father has great difficulty learning tech, and im just BARELY getting him used to navigating the ultra LT enough to see the camera, ect. and he can HEAR people through the camera on his tv using the ultra lt. but the entire point of this was to make it to where he could talk back to them. adding more devices will only confuse him and i need to get it to work through his tv. 

im open to any solutions

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Use roku door camera through Ultra lt (two way audio not working)

Jump to solution

@IrishEngineer 

Currently, I believe the Live Streams for cameras and doorbells can only be "viewed" on the TV.  The SmartHome is essentially built around the mobile app and mobile devices.

From the Roku support articles, two-way audio seems limited to "The speak feature records sound from the microphone on your mobile device and plays it through the speaker on your smart home camera or video doorbell."

----

Would be a nice feature if Roku could figure a way to use the microphone feature of the Roku remote to interact with the Smart Home devices though. (likely a security/isolation concern preventing this).

https://support.roku.com/article/7873923625751 (view a live video stream)

https://support.roku.com/article/7875920226583 (how to use two-way audio)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@IrishEngineer 

Currently, I believe the Live Streams for cameras and doorbells can only be "viewed" on the TV.  The SmartHome is essentially built around the mobile app and mobile devices.

From the Roku support articles, two-way audio seems limited to "The speak feature records sound from the microphone on your mobile device and plays it through the speaker on your smart home camera or video doorbell."

----

Would be a nice feature if Roku could figure a way to use the microphone feature of the Roku remote to interact with the Smart Home devices though. (likely a security/isolation concern preventing this).

https://support.roku.com/article/7873923625751 (view a live video stream)

https://support.roku.com/article/7875920226583 (how to use two-way audio)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

david-D

Jump to solution

Ditto !!!  Roku controls the entire eco-system so it's not an issue that it can't address.  Regardless, the selling point of 2-way audio should allow the remote's microphone button function to be redefined to stream audio to the doorbell speaker when the full doorbell app is launched by pressing the 'OK' button in response to the TV screen pop-up notification.  When the TV app is active the same microphone function could be implemented by prompting the user to press and hold the 'OK', '1', '2', or navigation  buttons to send the remote's microphone audio to the doorbell's speaker without redefining (over-riding) the function of the remote's microphone button.  In English, pressing and holding the microphone button and saying the word 'speak' or 'speaker' could also be prompted by the application at which point the AI voice cloud service should be able to determine that the user wishes for the remote's microphone audio be streamed to the doorbell speaker.  If viewing Roku security cameras with 2-way audio, which ever camera has focus on screen would be sent the audio.  While I don't doubt that there are some users who keep their cellphones with in arms reach, a user who pressed the OK button on their Roku remote already has the TV app loaded and the remote's microphone in hand.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.