Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Datman
Reel Rookie

Roku Outdoor Camera connectivity question

Jump to solution

We are trying to extend the range of our wifi to move our outdoor cameras (4- wireless with base station) deeper in the woods. Will these cameras work with a wifi extender, or does all traffic need to go through the base station?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Datman
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Outdoor Camera connectivity question

Jump to solution
  • Update. We tried a wifi extender and it did not work for our purposes.
  • I was able to route the camera feeds through the repeater with no problem, but for it to work, the repeater itself needed to be within range of the wifi, which didn't to give us coverage we were looking for. 
  • I tried it on AB mode, which allowed me to connect the antenna directly to my router via a 150 ft ethernet (PoE) giving us the range we were looking for, but only as a separate network connection. All 4 cameras (+ the base station) need to be on the same network, so this didn't work either. 
  • The solution was to switch the base station from ethernet to wifi, reposition it more central to the cameras, and compromise slightly. 
  • The wireless outdoor cameras will provide a live feed and record events with no interruption with only one bar of connectivity, so they don't need to be as close as we thought. 
  • The solar panels are a great addition; the battery level has hovered around 98%-100% for 3/4 since I plugged them in months ago, and that's in a dense forest where most direct sunlight can't penetrate the canopy. 
  • Overall, I♡roku.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Datman,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you have a query about using a WiFi extender. Yes, you can use a WiFi extender. With a network extender, what you get is a hybrid wired/WiFi solution. You will still connect a MoCA adapter to your modem/router. Then you connect the Network Extender to a coaxial port further into your home, closer to your Roku. Most of the home network is then wired, which makes it much faster and more reliable.

By using a WiFi extender, you can extend the range of your home WiFi network and ensure that your security camera has the best possible signal strength. Another advantage of using a WiFi extender for a security camera is that it can help reduce interference from other wireless devices.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let us know.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Datman
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
  • Update. We tried a wifi extender and it did not work for our purposes.
  • I was able to route the camera feeds through the repeater with no problem, but for it to work, the repeater itself needed to be within range of the wifi, which didn't to give us coverage we were looking for. 
  • I tried it on AB mode, which allowed me to connect the antenna directly to my router via a 150 ft ethernet (PoE) giving us the range we were looking for, but only as a separate network connection. All 4 cameras (+ the base station) need to be on the same network, so this didn't work either. 
  • The solution was to switch the base station from ethernet to wifi, reposition it more central to the cameras, and compromise slightly. 
  • The wireless outdoor cameras will provide a live feed and record events with no interruption with only one bar of connectivity, so they don't need to be as close as we thought. 
  • The solar panels are a great addition; the battery level has hovered around 98%-100% for 3/4 since I plugged them in months ago, and that's in a dense forest where most direct sunlight can't penetrate the canopy. 
  • Overall, I♡roku.
0 Kudos