Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku Indoor Camera SE will not connect to WIFI for set up

Jump to solution

Anyone aware of any alternate firmware for these cameras?

I have 2 brand new Roku indoor camera SE’s -  I have a 2.4 Ghz network through Comcast/xfinity  -

Using the app, the camera cannot get connected to the router, ( even though the router logs show “connected” The network name and password have been confirmed, I have many other IoT 2.4 devices connected with no issues.  I spent 40 minutes on the support chat but was unable to resolve and finally just disconnected me.  Any attempt to reconnect the chat was quickly disconnected again. 

I am a Senior Systems Engineer with 40 years of IT experience, ( I worked at NASA ! ) so I am pretty sure I have my network working correctly !  Relying SOLELY on a poorly coded app without an alternate connection method ( such as SSH or TFTP or even HTTP ) is pretty sloppy - I have no choice but to return the camera and tell my client to buy products that are actually supported. ( My bill for the time is already more than 100 of these cameras !)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Indoor Camera SE will not connect to WIFI for set up

Jump to solution

Hello! @cryogenesys,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We understand that you are experiencing difficulties setting up your Roku Indoor Camera SE. We are pleased to assist you with that.

What you need for setup

In addition to your Roku Indoor Camera SE and included accessories, you will need the following:

• Power: If there is no wall outlet near the camera location, you may want to use a power extension cable (not included). You can also connect your camera to an available USB port on a computer or another nearby device that provides 5V/1A.
  • Wi-Fi®: Your camera needs a 2.4GHz wireless network connection with WPA/WPA2security standard.
  • Smartphone or tablet: You will need to download and install the Roku Smart Home app on your iOS® or Android mobile device to set up and control your camera.

Connect your camera

Before you get started, make sure your smartphone or tablet is connected to your 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network (e.g., MyNetwork_2.4GHz).

Next, launch the smart home app and create a new Roku account, or enter the username and password for your existing account. After you sign in, perform the steps below to connect your camera.

1. Add your camera
    • Tap the plus sign + from the navigation bar and select Add Device  
    • Select Cameras & doorbells and choose Indoor Camera
    • Make sure your camera is powered on and the status light is flashing red, and then tap Next
    • Press the Setup button on the bottom of your camera and listen for "Ready to connect". When you hear the phrase, check the box and tap Next.
  1. Connect to Wi-Fi
  1. Scan QR code
    • Hold your camera about 5 inches from the QR code and listen for "QR code scanned. Please wait.". When you hear the phrase, check the box and tap Next.
    • Learn what to try if your camera cannot scan the QR code
  1. Finish setup
    • After you hear “Setup completed”, the status light turns solid blue and your camera is ready to use
    • Name your camera and press Finish

With the Wi-Fi connection, your camera can record videos to the cloud with your Roku Smart Home Subscription. You also get instant recordings when motion and sound is detected, and intelligent person, pet, and object detection. Learn more about the premiere features available with your Roku Smart Home Subscription.

If your camera is installed where there is no Wi-Fi connection or the signal is poor, you can install a MicroSD card to record videos.

For a detailed guide on setting up your Roku Indoor Camera SE, please check out: How to Set up your Roku Indoor Camera SE

Please feel free to let us know if you need any additional assistance!

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Indoor Camera SE will not connect to WIFI for set up

Jump to solution

Hello! @cryogenesys,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We understand that you are experiencing difficulties setting up your Roku Indoor Camera SE. We are pleased to assist you with that.

What you need for setup

In addition to your Roku Indoor Camera SE and included accessories, you will need the following:

• Power: If there is no wall outlet near the camera location, you may want to use a power extension cable (not included). You can also connect your camera to an available USB port on a computer or another nearby device that provides 5V/1A.
  • Wi-Fi®: Your camera needs a 2.4GHz wireless network connection with WPA/WPA2security standard.
  • Smartphone or tablet: You will need to download and install the Roku Smart Home app on your iOS® or Android mobile device to set up and control your camera.

Connect your camera

Before you get started, make sure your smartphone or tablet is connected to your 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network (e.g., MyNetwork_2.4GHz).

Next, launch the smart home app and create a new Roku account, or enter the username and password for your existing account. After you sign in, perform the steps below to connect your camera.

1. Add your camera
    • Tap the plus sign + from the navigation bar and select Add Device  
    • Select Cameras & doorbells and choose Indoor Camera
    • Make sure your camera is powered on and the status light is flashing red, and then tap Next
    • Press the Setup button on the bottom of your camera and listen for "Ready to connect". When you hear the phrase, check the box and tap Next.
  1. Connect to Wi-Fi
  1. Scan QR code
    • Hold your camera about 5 inches from the QR code and listen for "QR code scanned. Please wait.". When you hear the phrase, check the box and tap Next.
    • Learn what to try if your camera cannot scan the QR code
  1. Finish setup
    • After you hear “Setup completed”, the status light turns solid blue and your camera is ready to use
    • Name your camera and press Finish

With the Wi-Fi connection, your camera can record videos to the cloud with your Roku Smart Home Subscription. You also get instant recordings when motion and sound is detected, and intelligent person, pet, and object detection. Learn more about the premiere features available with your Roku Smart Home Subscription.

If your camera is installed where there is no Wi-Fi connection or the signal is poor, you can install a MicroSD card to record videos.

For a detailed guide on setting up your Roku Indoor Camera SE, please check out: How to Set up your Roku Indoor Camera SE

Please feel free to let us know if you need any additional assistance!

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos