Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dselevan
Channel Surfer

Battery for wired/wireless doorbell

Hello!

So I hard wired my Roku doorbell. I know that my transformer strength is not great, because I was unable to use a Nest wired doorbell. That said, the icon on the app recognizes it is plugged in. Seemed like even a low voltage would work because my doorbell is only used once or twice a month.

Anyway, the Roku app on the TV shows a battery percent, and it is going down. It was 100% this morning and now down to 98%. I am only recording events when the doorbell is pressed, so it is not detecting motion.

I find this to be a pain in the neck to take off and charge. Any suggestions on how to get 6 months + off the battery? The reason I mention + is I should be getting some charge out of my home wires. 

thank you

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Battery for wired/wireless doorbell

Hi @Dselevan,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We will be more than happy to assist you with your inquiry. Please be advised that batteries can hold up to six months of charge, but battery life varies with usage. If you decide you'd rather have continuous power and an existing doorbell, you can connect your Roku Wire-Free Video Doorbell SE to your doorbell wiring.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do to help you.

Best regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Dselevan
Channel Surfer

Hi John,

i have mine wired to the house yet the battery went from 100 percent tp 60:percent in one day. is that normal? there has been no activity at my front door.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Dselevan,

Thanks for updating us here in the Roku Community!

We understand that you are having problems with the battery of your Roku Video Doorbell. We're happy to help. Since you installed your video doorbell hardwired, it should be connected to the existing doorbell wiring that provides 16–24 V/10 VA (you may use the existing doorbell chime circuit or standalone transformer wires). If you decide to go wireless, that is when you connect your doorbell to power using the USB charging cable for 4 hours for a full charge. If, in any case, your battery is draining fast, please try these steps:

1. Ensure that the Roku Smart Home app and Video Doorbell firmware are up-to-date.
  2. Ensure that the battery is fully charged before testing. A full charge from 0 to 100% may take up to 4 hours.
  3. Ensure the Roku Video Doorbell (Battery) 's signal strength and ensure it’s at 3 bars for testing.
  4. Factors that can negatively impact battery life include:
    • Frequently watching the live stream or keeping the live stream open for long periods of time
    • Having Motion Detection get triggered frequently.
  5. Please check the battery usage by going to the affected camera in the Roku Smart Home app.
  6. Does the battery drain happen at the very beginning or after a period of time?
  7. Request an app log and take note of the app log ID if the days and all usage are low on your battery but are still draining fast: In the Roku Smart Home app, tap Account > Roku Support > Submit a Log > Choose the Doorbell Video > Battery Performance. Fill out the details and ensure Send log files is checked, then tap Submit.

Let us know if the issue persists. In the meantime, check out this link for more details about your wired video doorbell.

Best regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users,

We will be locking this thread because of its outdated status. If you still having issues related to this thread, please look through the Community for another thread that addresses the same problem. If there aren't any existing threads, you are more than welcome to create a new one.

Best regards,
Roku Community Team

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos