Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mlwhitt
Streaming Star

8 cameras suddenly started freezing up

Hello.

My setup is that I have two Indoor Camera 360s, a single outdoor camera, and five regular Indoor SEs.   My setup hadn't had any problems until two days ago when I started noticing them freeze up. At first it was one, here and there but now within an hour or two time they all have locked up.

Having many decades of IT experience I tried what I consider the first steps at troubleshooting.  I cycled the power, checked the firmware, even though they are all at different locations I even checked the voltage feeding to the cameras.   No luck.

I then proceeded to make the smart detection areas smaller on each device as well as adjusted it’s sensitivity.   I forgot to mention that every device is showing good signal strength.   I tested some other items on the network I created just for the cameras and left them running with cron jobs to regularly check network connectivity and there was no outage issues on the network.  

Nothing has been changed on said network since I added the cameras and I hadn't ran into anything like this in the six months plus that I have been running them.   They do not lockup if being actively viewed only when they are left alone.   I have tried a number of adjustments on each one’s sensitivity with no luck.

I put on a network sniffer via a Kali Linux setup and I am not seeing anything in the local network that would explain this.

It seems like maybe something is happening once the cameras connect to upload the captured video but I can not tell exactly what.

TLDR version:  8 total cameras, three different models, each is locking up upon attempts to send alert videos.  I have ruled out the local network, each have the latest firmware, each are in different levels locations, two of which have clear line of sight to the router.  Same results across all cameras.

0 Kudos
36 REPLIES 36
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: 8 cameras suddenly started looking up.

Hi @Mlwhitt,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

Please be aware that we have passed along your information to our Support team, and they're the ones who will reach you back.

If you need anything else, please let us know.

Kind regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mlwhitt
Streaming Star

Thank you.  I tried everything I could come up with including trying on a different network segment just to confirm it wasn't something on my particular network with the same results so I am at a complete loss.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@Mlwhitt,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

It seems like you have exhausted everything here, and we'll need reinforcement from the appropriate Roku team about this.

If you see this happening again, please share with us the details below.

• Log ID: From the camera, go to settings > gear > support > submit log.
  • Firmware version
  • Brand of the device

Please keep us posted!

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mlwhitt
Streaming Star

Thank you.  Yes the problem persists.

Each of my 5 Indoor SE are all

on  v3.0.2.8391

My Outdoor Wired Cam is on v3.0.2.8391

My 2 Indoor 360s are on v3.1.2.8391

In each case they state they are all up to date firmware wise.

As of today each camera is having the same issue.  I reboot them, they all work about 10-20 minutes before they get stuck.

Each camera has good signal strength as well.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Mlwhitt, you may have already tried this, but just in case one camera is somehow malfunctioning and bringing down the rest, have you tried bringing up one camera at a time to see it if locks up?  Or maybe there's a threshold where n cameras work, but with n+1 they start locking up.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Mlwhitt
Streaming Star

Unfortunately I tried this as well as part of my troubleshooting. Thank you none the less though.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@Mlwhitt,

Thanks for the update!
We'll forward this over to the appropriate Roku team. In addition to this, we also need the log ID for this.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mlwhitt
Streaming Star

Do you mean my Roku username/password or something else?

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@Mlwhitt,

We got you covered for that!

This is on the Smart Home app and this is how you get it.

• Log ID: From the camera, go to settings > gear > support > submit log.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos