Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vick

How to set up a Roku account without a credit card

Jump to solution

I do not plan on purchasing anything. Why do I need to register a credit card to get my Roku working?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to set up a Roku account without a credit card

Jump to solution

This link should let you create a Roku account without inputting credit card information: https://my.roku.com/signup/noccScreen Shot 2022-01-31 at 4.05.15 PM.png

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

64 REPLIES 64
renojim

Re: How to set up a Roku account without a credit card

Jump to solution

This link should let you create a Roku account without inputting credit card information: https://my.roku.com/signup/noccScreen Shot 2022-01-31 at 4.05.15 PM.png

gsd

payment set up

Jump to solution

what if I don't want to set up a roku pay account...  I don't want to buy anything through roku

redrum
Reel Rookie

Re: Can I activate without a credit card

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem, your link just keeps taking me to another version of your reply, where is the solution in this? Am I clicking on the wrong thing. 

CircuitDaemon
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

If you do the activation process from a computer you can view the site's code from your browser's programming tools and unhide the "Skip" button.

redrum
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That seems beyond me, haha. Thanks anyway. 

RTMjr

Jump to solution

So basically, no....you need to enter a credit card despite what the ads and box say,  Deceiving.

renojim

Jump to solution

Did you try the link I posted above?

0 Kudos
CircuitDaemon
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I already said you CAN, but you have to do it from a computer. The skip button is hidden within the html code. It's not hard to do but the moderators keep deleting any answers that actually help people with bypassing their arbitrary measures. PM if you want me to explain this further.

0 Kudos
Iona-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It appears that the Credit/Debit cards are a form of idenification for the user.   Just like any other ID card one uses on a day to day basis.   

With that in mind,  you can opt out of using your card's digits.   If you do, there will be consequences.   The warning pop up box will fill you in.   Pay attention & read it carefully.  I opted out.   And my Roku did not update or preform dependily anymore.   I started using a reloadable prepaid Debit card for my Roku account for ID purposes only.   My paywall apps are initially signed up directly by me on my laptop (not on the Roku directly),  contacted by me through their call centers or email directly,  or pay fees/memberships to their accounts also directly. 

My apps immediately updated & I experienced no more Role related issues.  So I use my special Debit card for all my online activities from now on, not only for Roku identification. 

And my own hard won Credit Cards for offline uses only.   This works for me.