Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bobbycheetah
Channel Surfer

is an account and credit card information necessary to use a Roku device?

My brother just received a new Roku device.  He only wants to watch free content, and not a subscriber of any "pay" channels like Netflix, AmazonPrime, etc.    Does he really have to create a Roku acct and provide credit card info? 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: is an account and credit card information necessary to use a Roku device?

Even if you use a credit card attached to your account nothing will be charged. I have one attached to mine but never use it. I always subscribe to paid channels directly from their own website. Follow this link to make a Roku account without a credit card. Using a Roku is free. There is no charge ever. Only if you physically subscribe to a paid service such as Netflix is there a charge. That charge will be whatever Netflix monthly cost is. 

https://philautelitano.medium.com/roku-hacks-how-to-register-a-roku-device-without-a-credit-card-or-...

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: is an account and credit card information necessary to use a Roku device?

@bobbycheetah wrote:

... Does he really have to create a Roku acct and provide credit card info? 

No.

During signup, when the page to supply credit card information is presented on the Web browser, clicking the Roku logo will take you out, but the account is already created.

Or, if he supplied information, he can go to https://my.roku.com and log in, then click the Update button under Payment Method. Scroll down and use the Remove link near the bottom of the page.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos