Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CDMDC
Reel Rookie

Fraudulent charge to account for a non-functional app

While searching for info on the Anna Montana game, I clicked on a ROKU site. My ROKU subscription has ALWAYS required a password for any purchase. A couple of days after I looked at the information, I was shocked to see that, without my permission and without using the required password for purchase, I was charged for downloading the Anna Montana app. Apparently the simple act of clicking on the site was sufficient for the phony "push" charge to be fraudulently applied to my account. The app, listed under charges to my account, does not work - when I go to "games" and try to add the Anna Montana channel, the message states "channel install failed...could not add.." I have attempted contacting Roku NUMEROUS times - to no avail. I now have resorted to this community forum out of sheer frustration. These are serious issues, involving but not limited to violations of both the United States Code governing telecommunications and banking transactions generally, and criminal codes of both the US and the District of Columbia Code and the DCMR, as well as established case law on the subject.  While this site bars me from mentioning my profession, I can state that Roku, by charging my account without my express permission and by intentionally bypassing the required password necessary for all purchases has, as a matter of fact and a matter of law, engaged in intentional fraudulent behavior - a knowing misrepresentation without consent in the pursuit of a matter of value - namely, the charge to me for an app without my permission and, to add insult to injury, an app channel that will not load and that does not work. Unfortunately, unless I get a satisfactory response - either a refund with explanation as to why this transaction was done, and/or an actual, functional, working Anna Montana app channel, then I will have no choice but to 1) file a criminal complaint outlining the exact legal cite of any all criminal violations, 2) to file suit in the Civil Division, and 3) to publicly post and notify interested parties and the general public as to my opinions on the matter.      I am truly sorry that it has come to this, but Roku refuses to reply to my many attempts at communication. Roku will have to respond to service of legal process - if Roku refuses, then I will simply make a motion for summary judgement. I would prefer to avoid this - will you contact me and make this right, Roku? Or, do I have to force the issue?     

8 REPLIES 8
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: Fraudulent charge to account for a non-functional app

@CDMDC It is very likely that the site you clicked on was not a ROKU site but a scam.  Therefore Roku will not be able to help you.   

0 Kudos
CDMDC
Reel Rookie

You allege that it was a "scam: and not actually a Roku site?  With automatic access to my private info while using a vpn? And, if it was a :scam" then WHY WON'T THE CHANNEL LOAD OR ADD FROM THE CHANNEL LINEUP? Your logic is faulty. What are you saying, that Roku partnered with the alleged "scam" and made the Anna Montana channel fail to add/load? Ridiculous. It was Roku, and you know it! Explain why the Anna Montana channel/game will not load.

0 Kudos
CDMDC
Reel Rookie

HDMIGuy - as a matter of fact and law - the charge for Anna Montana APPEARS ON MY ROKU PURCHASE HISTORY - that puts an end to your faulty speculation. Clearly then, it was from Roku's official site - or, do you state affirmatively that Roku is involved in a KNOWING "scam" as you put it?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@CDMDC, there's no setting that I'm aware of that requires a password for purchase.  You can set up a PIN, but that's only for making purchases on your Roku device itself, not the website.  When I look at Anna Montana on the Channel Store website I'm given the option for "Buy $1.99".  I have no doubt that if I clicked on that button I would immediately purchase the channel and be charged $1.99.  If you're logged into your Roku account when you visit the Channel Store website then you've already entered your password.

I can give you the normal spiel you'll get from a Roku representative which is, "For billing inquiries contact support at https://support.roku.com/contactus/ ", but I fear you've been down that road.  Maybe @RokuMary-F can help

The "channel install failed...could not add.." message can occur for reasons that have nothing to do with fraud.  I don't think you'll get very far trying that approach.  Can you add any channels?  Just pick a random free channel and see if can be added.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
CDMDC
Reel Rookie

Well when I used the term "password" I meant "pin." All of my transactions require a pin. I did not enter, say or provide a pin at anytime during that brief look around on the Roku site.  The charge appears in my Roku purchase history. In any  event, I have finally made direct audio contact with Roku. The situation is satisfactorily  being addressed. ...Oh, and next time, "community," try not to be so knee jerk and condescending towards a petitioner. In my experience, when people get caught up in irrational defense of wrongdoing, common sense goes out the window - only to be replaced by a narcissistic, ego driven stubbornness that is not only extremely annoying, but is just plain wrongheaded.

0 Kudos
Nap
Reel Rookie

I also did the same thing for a game called word soup and it is an roku game. Immediately after clicking on it to see screen shots i got an email saying i purchased this game and roku says its because i have no pin. they wont refund me unless i set up a pin. so im going to my bank on monday since its christmas eve. Some one at roku is scamming people out of their money and if they get 3 dollars out of a million people how much is that? 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Nap

Thanks for the inquiry. I'm sorry to hear about the experience—that's not what we aim for.

For account and billing related issues, please reach out to our Support team directly here for your 'Account, payments & subscriptions' issue. They will be able to further assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Nap
Reel Rookie

I spent 30 minutes online with customer support.  Not going to create a pin to get a refund will handle  this the legal way since im not the only person this happened  to with another game .