Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Baby21
Reel Rookie

Does Roku service have to be renewed at the end of 2 years?

Jump to solution

I was trying to add PBS to my channel line-up and my Roku TV advised me to contact PBS at pbs.org/activate. When I went to that website, I was given a phone number to call. When I called the number, an "agent" who said he was with Roku (not PBS) told me my Roku account had expired after two years and I had to pay a fee to renew it for either another 2 years, 5 years, or lifetime and quoted fees involved to renew. Being very wary of what he was telling me, I hung up. Was that a scam or was it legitimate?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Does Roku service have to be renewed at the end of 2 years?

Jump to solution

THAT WAS A SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The fact that he said he was with Roku proves beyond any shadow of a doubt that you went to the wrong website.  I'm guessing your web browser suggested the scam website that probably looked a lot like PBS.  There's no such thing as "Roku service".

Here's the website you should have gone to:

https://www.pbs.org/activate/

By the way, only scammers would have you call a number.  No company today wants to talk to anyone.  They go out of their way to make it difficult to contact a person.  If it's too easy, it's a scam.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

THAT WAS A SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The fact that he said he was with Roku proves beyond any shadow of a doubt that you went to the wrong website.  I'm guessing your web browser suggested the scam website that probably looked a lot like PBS.  There's no such thing as "Roku service".

Here's the website you should have gone to:

https://www.pbs.org/activate/

By the way, only scammers would have you call a number.  No company today wants to talk to anyone.  They go out of their way to make it difficult to contact a person.  If it's too easy, it's a scam.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I have also seen more and more services have QR codes to give you a direct link so you are less likely to end up at a scam site.

Basically, always type in the FULL address shown on-screen, and double-check the spelling before hitting ENTER. NEVER rely on hints from your browser or a search engine.

0 Kudos