Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
c-star

"Unable to update software" and can't move on on a new Roku

Jump to solution

Hello.

I have a new Roku Express 4K+. When I try to connect to wi-fi, I get a check mark for both wireless connection and internet connection. The status is "connected" and the signal strength is "good". However, I keep on getting the error message "Unable to update software" (Error 003) and I cannot move past that step. I've tried "try updating again" and "set up network" > "update connection" multiple times but that doesn't seem to work.

I have an account for my apartment wi-fi and I can either log in from a device or I can register a MAC address to use the wi-fi. I first registered the device's MAC address and selected "I'm at home" but it didn't work. I then deleted the MAC address from my account and chose "I am at a hotel or college dorm" and tried to log in through my laptop but the "hotel and dorm connect" screen closes in a few seconds and tries to connect to the wi-fi on its own. That also didn't work. 

I've also tried restarting and resetting the Roku but the same problem still persists. I find this odd since another Roku express that I had since 3-4 years ago connects to the wifi fine still to this day. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thank you for the help. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: "Unable to update software" and can't move on on a new Roku

Jump to solution

If you can use your phone as a hotspot try connecting to that just to get through the initial setup.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

If you can use your phone as a hotspot try connecting to that just to get through the initial setup.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
c-star

Jump to solution

I connected my roku to my phone and I was able to complete the initial setup, but the roku still doesn't connect to the internet.

It seems fine during the set up but I'm getting the error message "Unable to connect to wireless network" (Error 014) when I choose "Check Connection"". My apps won't work either. It says to restart my system and router on the support page so I restarted my roku but it still doesn't work. I have no access to the wi-fi router since I'm using my apartment's wi-fi. 

0 Kudos
c-star

Jump to solution

Ok, I don't know what exactly happened but I tried re-connecting to the network a few times and it started working for some reason. Thanks for the help, it seems to be fine now. 

0 Kudos
Caden1

Jump to solution

yes i have same problem my new roku express setup wifi look fine and the unable to updating.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Caden1

Thanks for the post.

Could you tell us more about the issue you're experiencing? Are you getting an error code or message? 

With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Ohio1968

Jump to solution

I've got everything that y'all did as far as trying to reconnect it won't do it on my phone but I am connected on somebody else's phone but not mine Lena Headey with the phone company check my connectivity and all of that everything is good why can't hook up and watch TV to watch with a Roku

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Ohio1968,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? Do you get an error message when you try to connect to your wireless network, or does the issue occur when you stream a specific channel? In addition, can you please specify the exact steps you are taking to reproduce this issue so we can investigate further?

Keep us posted with the details.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos