Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wired Connection Failed and Won't reconnect.

This has been touched on in other spots, but I am going to emphasize it here, again, because it says something about the quality of the Roku devices. My Ultra was connected and working fine, with a few glitches here and there, until today. Suddenly, it would not connect to my wired network. I spent time going through the forum finding all sorts of answers, and trying them (reboot router, reboot switch, reboot Roku, change wire [WTF]) and nothing gets the wired connection working. It's absurd. I was able to get the wireless connection working, but that does not offer the highest level of throughput available. This is a fail.

Ethernet is the basic cornerstone of connectivity in a network. It's a technology that is tried and true and should always work when wireless (often flakey) won't. And for it to randomly go out for no reason when no other changes were made or settings adjusted makes no sense at all. With the number of connectivity posts made on these forums, it's clear there is an issue. Is it a quality control issue? A low-quality part issue? Some issue with the software in the unit? It has to be something because when everything else in my hardwired system works fine, it can only be one thing. 

Roku, if you are listening, this needs addressing for your customers' sake. I am one step away from swallowing the painful pill of buying an AppleTV. At least they just plug in and work.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Wired Connection Failed and Won't reconnect.

@JorgeGortex 

Did you try using a different port on your switch or eliminate the switch from this connection?  Did you try placing the Roku on a known good working location. (another "wire" stemming from the assigned switch).

If this is a managed switch, could be either a port configuration, a firmware problem, or a device issue.  If a simple, unmanaged switch, could be a port or device issue.  Could even be a bad jumper wire if using one in your switch location.

Certainly cannot rule out a failed ethernet port (or internal issue) or even a discovery protocol on the Roku device, but discovered that my older Ultra had a more difficult time re-establishing connection when either a hub or switch was in the process.  Would sometimes take multiple router and device restarts to finally connect.  Other times, I would have have to change to a second wireless network, restart the Roku, and then it would discover the proper wired connection.

In some instances, you may have to power down everything involved for a min or two (deprive of power) and then power everything back up.

----

If you have a newer Ultra 4800, try disabling the Power Savings feature of the Roku device.  (Settings/System/Power/Auto Power Savings/20 min inactivity)

If none of the above works and you do indeed have the 4800, then yes, you have likely run into the premature failure of the 4800 ethernet port (which does seem to indicate an inferior process in the manufacture or hardware).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos

Well, there is something fishy going on on my network, but I've tried most of what you've suggested. The sad thing is that the Roku, after being connected to wifi so I can watch TV tonight, won't even fire up. It shut down and no manner of power cycling etc. will make it come back. It's absurd.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@JorgeGortex 

Other than trying to use a new power adapter (or plug directly into wall - eliminate any surge protectors/strips) to eliminate bad power supply contributing to your issues, you may just have a failed device.  The network connection may have just been the first indicator that something internal was going on.

When you say "won't fire up", does it appear dead? (as in no lights, no screens showing), or is it a boot error loop?

0 Kudos
DonFLA
Reel Rookie

So is there a known issue with premature 4800R ethernet port failures? I came home after being gone for a few days to have my Roku Ultra 4800R telling me it can't connect via wired connection. No network activity on the RJ45 jack, and the connection is verified good, swapped switch ports and cables just to be 100% sure, but this is obviously a failure of the Roku. The unit is all of 8 months old. Wireless works fine. The Roku box otherwise works fine.

Even better..it appears Roku requires a return of the unit before they ship a replacement? Am I correct there?

0 Kudos
AndrewLB
Channel Surfer

if you have a multimeter, check the voltage on your power adapter. In recent years I’ve had a few adapters for various devices be as much as +-4v from their rated output. Also, make sure you didn’t use the wrong adapter. Just because the jack fits, doesn’t mean it’s the proper volts. 

0 Kudos
DonFLA
Reel Rookie

The rest of the box works, 100% fine, using wireless rather than a wired connection. Hasn't moved, power adapter is the one it came with. But, just the same, verified and confirmed.

Its simply the ethernet port. If it was a power adapter issue, I'd likely see other symptoms.

My question again, referring to comment from @AvsGunnar  , is there a known issue with premature network interface failures on the 4800s? From his comment, I sense that might be the case.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@DonFLA 

There were many postings early on with the release of the 4800 which seemed to indicate problems with the ethernet port on the device.

Hard to tell if a device issue or a network setup though since different setups and scenarios.  Most did find that a replacement device solved their issue so can certainly speculate it is a device issue.

However, these Roku devices seem to run into problems when used with network switches at times.  I would first try disabling the 4800 power saving feature. (Settings/System/Power/Auto Power Savings/20 min inactivity) and then restart all your equipment (devices, network, etc) and see if that helps.

There are of course some ethernet port testers that will tell you instantly if the port has failed.  On the 4800, I am thinking you should also be able to use an USB ethernet adapter at the device and regain ethernet activity again.  If so, then likely indicator that port has failed and not a network issue. (I am not positive about the USB ethernet capability, but has same same chipset which gives other Roku 4k/4k+ devices this capability so should hold true.)

DonFLA
Reel Rookie

Thanks.

Didn't think about trying the usb interface, but its worth a test.

I power cycled everything originally, hoping that might be the case, but no go. Its router->switch->roku, and been working fine, so all fingers do point to the Roku.

If they won't send a replacement prior to returning an under-warranty unit, I'll likely just use the wireless connection and be done with it. The cabled connection was there as part of my entertainment setup, so a nice convenience, not a necessity.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@DonFLA 

Just to clarify, won't be able to use the USB 2.0/3.0 port on the Roku device for the ethernet adapter.   Need to use a USB ethernet adapter with the proper adapter at the power port.  Basically supplies both power and ethernet capability simulataneously.

Only other thing I can suggest would be to eliminate the switch for troubleshooting.  Run directly from router to the device.  I currently have an unmanaged switch with my 4660 and works fine, but ran into issues when using managed switches. (at times would be a bugger to regain connection.  I would have to establish a wireless connection first, restart the device, and then sometimes it would automatically discover the wired connection.  Other times, took a few different restarts or switching to an alternative network before it would again detect the desired wired connection.)

Generally, I do believe that you must first ship back the device before they will provide you a replacement.

(https://support.roku.com/article/208757058)