Wi-Fi & connectivity

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pgw8706
Level 7

Will my Roku Ultra ethernet connection benefit with Cat6

Jump to solution

Is there any benefit to run Cat 6 to my Roku Ultra 4800RW or does it need only Cat 5e? Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
andyross
Level 16

Re: Will my Roku Ultra ethernet connection benefit with Cat6

Jump to solution

It shouldn't make a difference. The Ultra only has 100Mbit Ethernet, as it's designed for Internet streaming, where even 4K maxes out around 25Mbit.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
andyross
Level 16

Jump to solution

It shouldn't make a difference. The Ultra only has 100Mbit Ethernet, as it's designed for Internet streaming, where even 4K maxes out around 25Mbit.

pgw8706
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. I was expecting there was no benefit to the upgraded wire for the reasons you state. Was looking for the confirmation. But since the cost for the Cat 6 wire is just a few $ more than 5e, that is what I plan to pull for the dedicated drop to the Roku. Never know what the future may bring.

0 Kudos
andyross
Level 16

Jump to solution

Nothing wrong with Cat6 for a permanent run, and generally recommended. I was just thinking it was about a short run like wall to device.

Just be a bit careful about going too cheap. The longer the run, the better quality cable you need, not just Cat type.

0 Kudos